Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 mx6 ls that has been overheating. It overheated a month ago so I replaced the two accesory belts and thought that solved the problem because they were nearly broken. today i noticed that my fans were running high and saw my temp gauge go at 3/4 again. I got the car at 143,900 1 year and 6 months ago. when i got it i had the water pump, timing belt, thermostat changed. about two months ago when i was doing an oil change i noticed oil on a line coming off the oil filter base so i unplugged it and coolant started to spill. It had a rotten smell so i thought it was going bad. I just filled the radiator with 1 quart coolant and water and topped it off. my question is should i do a coolant flush after 1 year and 6 months. will it solve the overheating problem?
thanks in advance,
brian

·
Registered
564 Posts
You would need to check the temp on both side of the themostat. To do this you need a thermo gun. You need to know if your termostat is opening and closing at the right temp.

While your there check the temp across you rad, there should be atleast 20 degree drop across the rad. Also check to make sure your rad is not pluged with bugs and dirt. You can also check the temp at the temp. sensor when the fan come on. Maybe your temp. gauge is wrong.

Also pressure test the rad cap. Make sure that it hold proper system pressure

·
Registered
114 Posts
kc 93'ls said:
You would need to check the temp on both side of the themostat. To do this you need a thermo gun. You need to know if your termostat is opening and closing at the right temp.

While your there check the temp across you rad, there should be atleast 20 degree drop across the rad. Also check to make sure your rad is not pluged with bugs and dirt. You can also check the temp at the temp. sensor when the fan come on. Maybe your temp. gauge is wrong.

Also pressure test the rad cap. Make sure that it hold proper system pressure
couldn't of said it any better myself

1 - 3 of 3 Posts