Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been looking through the forums for a few days and I’ve seen just about every kit recommendation to go with where you don’t have to touch your ecu upgrade at all but it’s all with different engines, I’m wondering if anyone knows what would be the best kit to go with for the American v6 that comes in the mazda, I’ve been looking at the KLZE kit mostly but I’m feeling like it’s not going ti be the correct fit?

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
The ZE kit will be fine same diameter for the TB intake and pipping. Look if you're going to get an "off the shelf turbo kit" don't expect much out of it. It will be fun for the short term, but after a year or so, you'll run in to problems. Doing a turbo to a car of this age, and likely on and engine that hasn't had a full rebuild is almost a money pit. Look, do it on the cheap, do a frankinturbo and enjoy it till it goes boom. You'll have fun. but a reliable DD on such an old platform. not so much

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@TwoPedalWarrior I mean in the sense of even getting it tuned at a low boost max out like 4lbs would that make any difference at all? And for a full rebuild would that be probably 3-5k? Cause I mean at that point I guess it really sounds like it’s not worth it at all cause then the kit is like 2k atleast so I’d be so far invested for it to probably not even be any better then it was before? And then at that point if a 5.3 ls would fit I might aswell go that route if I’m spending over 5k

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
Ya you see the the numbers add up fast. 4lbs is about 30-40 or so HP. Not a huge gain for cost in. You're better to do a MAF/ODB2 Swap, far better gains for under 600USD. Join the MX6 Facebook group and see who's selling a MAF kit swap these days. You;ll net around 20+ HP from 3500RPM up. Possible higher gains if your engine is in great shape.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
@TwoPedalWarrior I mean in the sense of even getting it tuned at a low boost max out like 4lbs would that make any difference at all? And for a full rebuild would that be probably 3-5k? Cause I mean at that point I guess it really sounds like it’s not worth it at all cause then the kit is like 2k atleast so I’d be so far invested for it to probably not even be any better then it was before? And then at that point if a 5.3 ls would fit I might aswell go that route if I’m spending over 5k
An engine rebuild consist of disassembling everything, inspecting everything, changing anything that isn't within specs and reassembling it all with new, reliable gaskets. An engine rebuild on a good working engine consists of cleaning the pistons and rings, head and combustion chamber, lapping and possibly shimming the valve spring and reassembling everything with new quality seals and gaskets. This type of rebuild is far better than the engine machining rebuild with oversized pistons and milled crank, the original was made by machines the rebuild was made by machines run by humans, when cylinder walls are bored and cranks are shaved they get weaker.

40 hp increase is the same if the engine sucks, flows or has it forced in, it's 4lbs per minute more air consumed by the engine, more air = more power = more heat, pressure and stress on the engine.
No matter how you add power to the engine don't expect 30year old gaskets and seals to handle it, if they are handling factory power when being pushed that is an achievement, life is money or time but it takes more time to earn money than what can be achieved with time, a machine shop will charge you 30 hours to rebuild the engine at 3000$ + and it will take 120-150 hours (maybe more) to earn that money, who knows how long they actually took or how well they did the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts