Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting and wanted to listening to radio and I had ignition on, but forgot, and inserted the fuse for radio, but when I started it back up to leave it would not rev up or run smoothly as it always did,it runs but won't go over 45 mph and dies at every stop light.How do I check the electronics, my grandson has a Innova car scan tool but it doesn't have the port under the dash.How do I diagnose it?I will appreciate all help for this 62 year old shade tree mechanic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It probably didn't like the music, maybe change the station ? Seriously, check the other fuses in the cabin and in the engine compartment. This should not have affected the ECU. Did you bump anything else like wiring connectors when you were doing this repair ? Also this is a 1993, so there is an OBD1 check unit box next to the battery. You can get diagnostics codes from this. If you don't know how to do that, post a reply, and I will post the instructions for that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably didn't like the music, maybe change the station ? Seriously, check the other fuses in the cabin and in the engine compartment. This should not have affected the ECU. Did you bump anything else like wiring connectors when you were doing this repair ? Also this is a 1993, so there is an OBD1 check unit box next to the battery. You can get diagnostics codes from this. If you don't know how to do that, post a reply, and I will post the instructions for that.
If you could explain how to get the codes out of the OBD1 terminal, I would appreciate it very much.Thank you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you would Mr.Goodbar,lol,post instructions on how to get the codes from the diagnostic box next to battery, I have an Innova code box but the 93 doesn't have OBD2 port,also is there a way to check if somehow the 93 MX6 jumped timing but I pulled up and it was fine but just as soon as it started to turn over I could tell there was something wrong,it didn't turn over the same,could a shorted out battery cause this,cause now I am having problems with battery also.Thank You.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to short out an ECU by plugging in an alarm fuse while ignition is active, or on, cus the engine runs but acts like it's running on 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like you decided to sell the car already.
Only if I can't figure out what's wrong with it, I am disabled and 62 yrs old,I have to cover my bases,I love the car but I can't have it just sitting in 1 of my driveways,I need to know for sure what's wrong,I am on limited income so finding out what's wrong is paramount.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You have an OBD1 car. It has the small black diagnostic box next to the battery. Procedure to see codes:

get a paper clip
take off the top of the black box
on the underside of the black box you will see a diagram
the 2 connectors to use are STI and GND
fashion the paper clip so there is a connection between them
turn on ignition
if there are any trouble codes, you will see the check engine light start flashing
codes are given in long bursts and short bursts
for example 1 long burst and 6 short bursts is code 16
after you have obtained the codes, they can be cleared by disconnecting the battery and pressing the brake pedal for 10 seconds

If you don't have a chart of what the trouble codes mean, you can send them to me and I can give you that

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so very much,I was also told to remove negative cable and push brake pedal down for 30 seconds to reset ECU, but I have started it up since then. I will get back with you very soon.Thanks again, you have no idea how much this means, I love this car, so much fun to drive!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a pic of the inside cover of the diagnostic box on my 93 MX6 v6, which 2 connectors do I connect to, I know 1 is the ground, but which 1,there are two gnd connectors, and which is the other one I need

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, I will let you know what codes pop up, after I take it a ride around the neighborhood as I reset the codes,advise I got and acted on b4 I thought about it, now I need to drive it to get the codes to show up.I just started it, but it feels like it is running on 3 or 4 cylinders.I am going to check the codes then check the plugs,just to check them off the list.Thank you again, will get back with you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a question, all of a sudden now,my mx6 keeps draining batteries ,I have had 2 batteries that started cars before now are going dead from sitting still in my mx6, can a ECU or is it ecm, which ever, can they short out and slowly drain the battery and make the car not run correctly, or can the pcm do it,I am at a loss, everything was running fine except for hla making noise, then it started missing out and running down batteries.It is so hot here now I cannot run the codes on the car, it will be below 90 on Friday, hopefully I can then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't understand the fixation on ECU or PCM or ECM. I agree with Goodbar when he said installing a fuse while ignition on should have no effect on ECU in his first reply, also if there was any damage to ECU or any relevant codes you would probably have some kind of indication on inst. cluster such as check engine light. Just because it started running bad after you did the fuse doesn't necessarily mean that's what caused it. You need to get back to the basics, get a cheep multimeter, with one of those, there are many videos on youtube that show how to track down what's draining your battery, once that problem is solved then you can move on to the misfiring problem you can easily track down witch cylinders are not firing by pulling spark plug wires one at a time and see witch ones make a difference it could be as simple as a couple of bad plug wires, you need to be willing to do the work

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a question, all of a sudden now,my mx6 keeps draining batteries ,I have had 2 batteries that started cars before now are going dead from sitting still in my mx6, can a ECU or is it ecm, which ever, can they short out and slowly drain the battery and make the car not run correctly, or can the pcm do it,I am at a loss, everything was running fine except for hla making noise, then it started missing out and running down batteries.It is so hot here now I cannot run the codes on the car, it will be below 90 on Friday, hopefully I can then.
Well I jumped across both of the two positions as your illustration and all the check engine light does is stay lit, no flashing , no nothing, that's what I mean as it does not make any sense.Any ideas should help tremendously.Thank You Dave H.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I jumped across both of the two positions as your illustration and all the check engine light does is stay lit, no flashing , no nothing, that's what I mean as it does not make any sense.Any ideas should help tremendously.Thank You Dave H.
Well I went and got a new battery so I can now drive it,after a know it all on the site said to clear out the codes first, so I did, bad mistake, as now the check engine icon does nothing after putting in paper clip the light goes on for a few seconds then goes out, but the air bag light keeps flashing 2 flashes then 2 flashes then long pause then does it again and again.I am going to wait till tonight to drive the car to get the codes to register as theanual says they will store after 2 drive times, but what is a drive time? So I will drive it late at night when no 1 is on streets as to not slow anyone down, car runs but it seems to not be getting enough gas or to much, what problems would a crankshaft sensor pose if it were bad?I do not have much time as my health is fading fast, but any help will be greatly appreciated, this is a great car, all of this problems just started after turning off car and going into UPS and coming back out and started it back up, it has always ran great, has 117k on clock, uses no oil, hla makes noise but all 93 Model do. Thank You again for any help what so ever.Dave H.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Household hardware Finger Engineering Gas Spark plug
just took out plug on left end of front head, that's what the plug looks like, has no smell of gas whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts