Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by apologizing for not searching for hours on end. I've just been given a 93 LX(it's an early 93, 4/92). The motor appears to be seized (190k). It's been sitting for the past 3 years. Overall the car is in descent shape (needs paint, a couple of dents/scratches). I'd like to get it running again. My options are try to find a used engine with not too many miles, buy a j-spec, rebuild it or have it rebuilt. I've been calling all the local parts places and I can't seem to find a used a-spec engine close. However I can pick up a j-spec for 850. I have no idea what it would cost me to rebuild the engine or have it rebuilt. I'm not too worried about putting a j-spec into it. My last car was a n/a 88 rx-7 and i converted it to a turbo (j-spec engine, full drive line, stand alone(microtec)). I'm not looking for this to be a super fast car just running again. Any advice on what is going to be the most realistic way to accomplish my goal of getting this car on the road? I'd rather not spend a ton of money. Down the road i'd be willing to put more money into the car but until its on the road i'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. As a sidenote, i've never rebuilt an engine of any sort, and I do not have a ton of time to make it run again before i may have to get rid of the vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Why would you want to rebuild the j-spec engine though?
Besides the close to 30 extra horsepower, the benefit is it assumed to be a low milage engine to to the fact that the japanese don't keep cars long
You may as well buy it, and throw it in there

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not planning on rebuilding the j-spec enging if that's the direction i go. I'm not sure what is necessary to get the j-spec running in my car. I'm guessing at least it would need the ecu.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i finally found the post that would explain what needs to be done to make this work. Sounds about as easy as taking out the engine and replacing it with the same engine.

Now my only question is about the EGR. I do have to pass emmissions so my newest question is will i need the egr? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts