Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i recently took my car to a shop and was told the ignition coil is shot in my distributor. I was wondering if it is possible to replace just this, and if so, is it difficult? i could not find a walk thru as most people just go with external coil mod(which i am not wanting to do). any help would be appreciated.

p.s. i know its not the igniter, its the coil

·
Registered
138 Posts
our distributor coils are in the distributor. you basically can replace the distributor ($125-$150 one ebay) or you can do the hei mod.

If you're not very mechanically inclined, I'd replace the distributor. I've read the hei mod sticky and even though I'm fairly mechanically inclined I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
also what engine do you have? I'll get you alink if you need it

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, i forgot to write engine. its the v6. i did the hei mod, as the igniter had went out before. now its the coil that is out. money is an issue atm, so an $80 coil is better than a $150 distributor. I have just never taken apart a distributor before and would like some help or pictures if ya had them.

also, thanks for the reply

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you did the hei mod you should have an external coil I believe. can get an accel or msd at an auto parts store for 30-40 bucks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, i just did the hei because it was only the igniter before. i have done the hei on both of my mazdas now, worked like a charm. i took the distributor to a mechanic friend of mine and he disassembled it though. wasnt too bad. thanks for the replies again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts