Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Long story short I recently bought a new project car, a 94 MX-6 2.5L, that had been sitting in someone's yard for quite a number of years. A few issues, the main one being, the car cranks but does not start. I have tried installing a brand new distributor (not OEM) that I got off ebay. And still there is no spark going to the spark plugs. And when I turn the key to the ON position, one click before START, I can hear one of the relays in the engine bay clicking 3 times. Another side issue that had got me thinking about possible reasons this was happening is, the window switches and sunroof switches are intermittent. For example, I can put the passenger window down on the drivers side, but not up, it has to be put up again by pressing the button on the passenger side. And the Sunroof opens but does not close. I had to pull the headliner down and close it manually by hand with a Torx screwdriver. And when I press on the drivers side windows to go up the A/C fans blow at MAX speed, and only while the button is pressed. This got me thinking that because the car had been sitting for so long then perhaps the grounding strap could possibly be corroded or damaged. Causing weird electrical problems.
Any knowledge or help on this situation would be greatly appreciated, as I am not a mechanic and I am trying my best to learn! Thanks in advance

jiofi.local.html
Router Net - Default Router Settings Details

·
Registered
1991 MX6 LX
12 Posts
Howdy,

Yours will be a little different from mine in some ways since I have a 91 with a 2.2. My windows creep and my sunroof doesn't really work, but the car runs fine and I drive it regularly. I recently ran into issues with not starting, so I'll share things that have caused issues:

Distributor, distributor cap rotor breaking down, the wire running to the dist cap corroding and not making good contact, and a bad fuel pump. My coil hasn't had issues but that's another usual suspect.

In your case the Electric Voodoo suggests it might be something either different or additional (it simply wouldn't do to have only one thing wrong, now would it?) from either a short or a wacky wiring job.

The Hanes Guide has wiring diagrams for the wonky circuits, and the distributor and fuel pump stuff can be found as most of mine has been replaced in the last year. My recommendation is to start hitting stuff with an ohm meter to see what expected continuity doesn't match up with reality. Does the car have any obvious electrical mods (relays, new circuits, sound stuff, I dunno), and since it was in outside are there any cozy spots where critters could have sabotaged you?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi all,
Long story short I recently bought a new project car, a 94 MX-6 2.5L, that had been sitting in someone's yard for quite a number of years. A few issues, the main one being, the car cranks but does not start. I have tried installing a brand new distributor (not OEM) that I got off ebay. And still there is no spark going to the spark plugs. And when I turn the key to the ON position, one click before START, I can hear one of the relays in the engine bay clicking 3 times. Another side issue that had got me thinking about possible reasons this was happening is, the window switches and sunroof switches are intermittent. For example, I can put the passenger window down on the drivers side, but not up, it has to be put up again by pressing the button on the passenger side. And the Sunroof opens but does not close. I had to pull the headliner down and close it manually by hand with a Torx screwdriver. And when I press on the drivers side windows to go up the A/C fans blow at MAX speed, and only while the button is pressed. This got me thinking that because the car had been sitting for so long then perhaps the grounding strap could possibly be corroded or damaged. Causing weird electrical problems.
Any knowledge or help on this situation would be greatly appreciated, as I am not a mechanic and I am trying my best to learn! Thanks in advance
I have a 94 MX6, 2.5LV6 5 speed. My experience is that a bad ground can cause all sorts of weird electrical problems. From a previous post of mine: "My instrument cluster would VERY intermittently just go dead completely. Not speedometer, tachometer, gauges, turn signals, nothing, but the car would still run. One time it happened on the interstate at 70 mph. This happened about 4 times over a 2 year period. I could never pin down the exact cause because of the low frequency of occurrence. Desperate, I replaced the battery. That did not help. Finally, I replaced the battery terminal ground wire and never had the problem again. My conclusion, this car does some really weird things if you don't have a rock solid battery ground. I have heard of other cars doing similar things. Might at least check the battery ground cable. I replaced mine with a high quality thick gauge wire and wire brushed and cleaned the stock mounting location. Just a thought. "

Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi man, i have the EXACT same problem, replaced the disty and a bunch of other things but it still doesnt start...
would love to hear if you figure this out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts