Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend owns one of these, it's the bright blue with white notrils, scoops, and top. Really nice looking car. Has flowmasters, K&N filter, and 4.11's. Also has short throw shifter. Anyway, we raced once and he spanked me good. Now that I have the new engine and turned up the boost some <also, only other mod is 2.25 inch exhaust with no cat or muffler> Anyway, wanted to see how bad he'd spank me this time. We raced twice. First time, I bogged the engine down and he got me off the line. BUT, I hung with him dead even the whole way. The second time I revved it up to like 2800 and chirped the tires, MUCH better launch. He missed second so I spanked his ass. If I had gotten a better start the first time I think I would have edged ahead. Anyway, I'm happy, thought I'd share :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
kick a$$. Next time, both of you get good launches, and tell us about it. That is cool how you got to rebuild your motor, then race him again!!

Glad to see that you finally got the dam thing running right!!!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm about to get a chip and up the boost some more.... WHOOP!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
WHOOP!

TexasMX6GT are you an Aggie? Have to ask when I see whoop written in a thread and it's not me who wrote it. And what did you do to your engine? I read in another thread you have 275 hp. That's incredible!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Umm, first off, no I don't have near 275 hp.
I wish I did though. No dyno yet, but, I'm estimating 170 hp and maybe 215 lb/ft of torque. There's a dyno in Lubbock, about 2 hrs. from here and I'm gonna go do a few pulls ASAP.
Second, no, I'm not an Aggie, I play on a MUD http://www.astromud.com:2447 and Whoop! is a common expression of excitement there :)
I don't even say the word whoop.
The engine is a rebuilt 2.2 turbo. It was bored 20 over, is that .20, or .020? I can't remember.
Other than that my only mods are a 2.25 inch exhaust with no cat or muffler, and slightly upgraded boost. I turned the adjusting screw on the factory boost control solenoid three turns, I don't know how much boost that is because no boost guage yet.

G

·
There's a factory boost control that you can play with?!! What? Who? Where? Why? When? How? Hook me up wit a lil info :)

Stock VS stock.......How do you think your GT stock vs the Stang stock would fair?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it's the factory boost control solenoid. Manifest has pictures of it on his website. It's bolted to the turbo on the intake side. Has a couple of hoses coming out of it, and a black and red wire that connect near the thermostat housing. There's a nut with a screw inside. Loosen the nut <I took it off all the way> and turn the screw counter-clockwise to turn up the boost. Put the nut back on and bolt it back up. You can even remote mount it so it's easier to get to, just get longer hoses. It is kind of a pain to get to, you pretty much have to take all the intake/intercooler pipes off that lead to the turbo. I don't have a boost guage, so, I don't know how much I'm boosting, but, it is a noticeable difference over stock. I turned the screw 3 full turns counter-clockwise. I didn't do more cause I didn't wanna start overboosting and have to take the thing back apart again.
Stock vs. stock. That's a good question. I think stock it'd be a really tight race, but, the stang would win. The 5.0 engine made a peak of 285 lb/ft. of torque, and that was down pretty low. Also, they're RWD, so they launch better. The only reason the race would be close is that the stangs are pretty heavy, especially this guys convertible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts