Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the firing order/cap for my two 1996 MX-6's Bottom pic with red writing)
How did I find out? I hear you ask? Well... simple... I bought the WRONG cap first ... DOH!!

Ours (well, my two 1666's) use the bottom pic with 5/4/6 the top three. The top pic cap wont fit our distributor (the earth pin is in a different place, so cap wont fit)... but I guess if you buy a complete distributor, as long as you put the leeds where the numbers correspond, it may work?

Once I found the cap i had ordered didn't fit my cars dizzy, I learned the difference and bouth the correct dizzy with cap for my car (but the dizzy didn't work)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is the firing order/cap for my two 1996 MX-6's Bottom pic with red writing)
How did I find out? I hear you ask? Well... simple... I bought the WRONG cap first ... DOH!!

Ours (well, my two 1666's) use the bottom pic with 5/4/6 the top three. The top pic cap wont fit our distributor (the earth pin is in a different place, so cap wont fit)... but I guess if you buy a complete distributor, as long as you put the leeds where the numbers correspond, it may work?

Once I found the cap i had ordered didn't fit my cars dizzy, I learned the difference and bouth the correct dizzy with cap for my car (but the dizzy didn't work)

View attachment 13247

View attachment 13246
Okay yeah I understand, but I got the same distributor cap as the last one. But that shouldn't matter necessarily should it? Because there is no spark coming from the distributor at all. And if it was the wrong cap, it would just fire at the wrong time right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The wrong cap for the distributor wont fit, that is how I realised the difference. I was trying to put the cap with 4/5/3 the three top wires on my dizzy in the car... I was wondering why it wouldn't go on!! Then I realised the earth leg was in a different position... so, I bought a whole new dizzy instead (which didn't work) DoH!!

So now I have the original dizzy cleaned up and the cap and rotor off the dud dizzy (with new leads and plugs) all is well now

·
Registered
72 Posts
Okay yeah I understand, but I got the same distributor cap as the last one. But that shouldn't matter necessarily should it? Because there is no spark coming from the distributor at all. And if it was the wrong cap, it would just fire at the wrong time right?
I was waiting on Calcifer to answer, since he's actually dealt with the v6 dizzy.

Based on what he's said and you've said, if you're getting no spark, either the dizzy is bad or you're not getting power to the dizzy. Check continuity of the power to the distributor and you should be able to answer that question. If you can isolate the issue to the distributor, you know how to concentrate your effort. If you don't have power to the distributor, spending a bunch of time trying to figure out what's wrong with the dizzy will be a waste of effort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was waiting on Calcifer to answer, since he's actually dealt with the v6 dizzy.

Based on what he's said and you've said, if you're getting no spark, either the dizzy is bad or you're not getting power to the dizzy. Check continuity of the power to the distributor and you should be able to answer that question. If you can isolate the issue to the distributor, you know how to concentrate your effort. If you don't have power to the distributor, spending a bunch of time trying to figure out what's wrong with the dizzy will be a waste of effort.
Okay did you see the photo's that I posted about the plug that goes into the dizzy? In the workshop manual its saying to test the 3 wires, but there are only two out of three wires running into the back of it. That part is confusing me a lot because it look's like it is supposed to be like that from factory

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah there should be 3 wires into the dizzy at the plug. If there is a wire missing, that could explain your non starting. Check and see if there is a wire hanging around somewhere

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah there should be 3 wires into the dizzy at the plug. If there is a wire missing, that could explain your non starting. Check and see if there is a wire hanging around somewhere
Ahhh yes okay I will look thoroughly for a 3rd wire thanks a lot! What do you suggest if there isn't a 3rd wire anywhere to be seen?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts