Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

'96 LS V6 MT complete and running parts car for sale

6K views 48 replies 6 participants last post by  Hawkmoth 
#1 ·
For Sale: 1996 MX-6 LS 2.5 V6 MT Gold / tan leather no rust "running"/ rolling parts car 187,000 miles. (bill of sale only)
Mine is a typical "ran when parked' situation, where it was well-sorted and running great, but I had to stop driving it in 2012 because it wouldn't pass CA smog. It sat covered in a carport, and I kept it going for a few more years, starting it and driving it occasionally to keep it in shape. But then it fell out of registration, the battery went dead, mice got under the hood at some point and chewed up the firewall insulation. (Wiring survived, as far as I can tell). Long story short, this car will take too much money to get back on the road, so it is probably time to give up on it. But i think it could make a solid parts car for someone who has an MX-6 with cosmetic or mechanical needs, or wants a solid base for a track day car build. So i thought I'd post it here before sending it off to pick-a-part.

Good things:
Engine and transmission still in good shape as of the last time i drove it. zero leaks. drivetrain and exhaust components are all stock - no mods.
Paint is good - no clear coat fading that is typical of these. some cracking visible in the hood paint but the finish is super shiny so you don't notice it unless you look close.
Original suspension, not lowered.
Tan leather Interior is worn but complete. Drivers side seat has bad rips, so not salvageable. the other seats are fine.
RARE OEM lip style rear spoiler taken off of a '94 Gold base model. (Has some scrapes and gouges in it, so not perfect, but I love the look, so I had to save it).
Driver side window rolls down and sunroof works. Non-smoker interior, just smells like old leather. Headliner is good.
Underside looks great, no rust.
All windows good except crack in base of windshield, below line of sight. (crack has not spread, so i never bothered replacing it). Windows not tinted.
Car is past 25 years old, so if you can register it outside of CA, you can potentially have a running MX-6 for cheap.
Never crashed or raced.

Known Issues:
Doesn't pass smog. No check engine light. possibly just needs a new cat, but might also need a valve job. There is some fouling issues with one of the spark plugs, might be related. I have been having to replace that plug about every 10-15,000 miles.
Car fell out of registration 9 years ago so cannot be re-registered in California even if it does pass smog due to excessive back registration fees owed.
Dead battery.
Clutch needs bleeding. possibly needs a new slave cylinder. Master cylinder is relatively new.
Mice got under the hood so there may be issues related to that. mice never got into the vents or the interior. (no smell or droppings). I don't see any damage in the wiring insulation, just the firewall insulation.
AC compressor doesn't come on.
Power steering doesn't seem to work (steering feels great once you get going, but below 5 mph it can be a workout.)
The trunk lid that the rare lip spoiler is attached to came from a junk yard car and has dull clearcoat and some surface dimpling, possible hail damage. No key to this trunk either, so you can only access it from the interior. I still have the original trunk lid with the original lock, but the original spoiler is long gone.
Both rear quarter panels have dents from being backed into by another vehicle, the left side right behind the gas filler, and the right side by the passenger door. front right panel has a small dent at the wheel well lip.
Passenger window doesn't work. Installed a new regulator but i screwed it up somehow and then i had to kluge it so it stays up without falling.
Has a CD stereo with USB that works, but the face plate is missing right now.
The usual MX-6 aging issues - leather in drivers seat falling apart, drivers door trim material needs re-gluing, rear quarter window trim is aged and cracking.
Needs new tires all around. Note the bronze wheels and new-ish tires in the attached photos are not included, i plan on saving them for my next MX-6. The original OEM alloy 15" wheels are included, and are in good shape other than some curb rash, and one wheel has a small hairline crack in it (nothing to be concerned about). but the tires are bad - leaky and flat spots, and need replacing before driving.
Brake rotors have surface rust, so should be sanded down before using the brakes so the pads don't get mucked up.
Tank doesn't have much gas in it, but what it has is very old, so it definitely needs new gas before you try starting it.

Asking $600

Photos to follow

See less See more
#48 ·
Hello royalgold, I live in the U.K. and I would have bought the whole car off you, but shipping kills it. The wheels on your MX-6 do they have big latch pins? supposedly to stop the big hex nut from falling off. I only need one but I would buy all 4 if you have them. I have tried everywhere to get them but nobody over here got them.
Hawkmoth

#9 ·
They are in good shape. not cloudy, just a little yellowing. Over the years I regularly polished them with plastic polish but have never sanded them or clearcoated them that I can remember. No idea what they are worth. what would you pay for the set?

#17 ·
OK let me know when you have them off and condition now they are off the car.

Kind Regards
Colin..
Got t
hem off. They look good. I couldn’t cut the wiring that far back because the wiring harness is a fat bundle and I didn’t have the type of cutter big enough to cut into it. Also there is a chance I might have to limp my car to a different location at some point and I didn’t want to completely disable it.

#19 ·
Got t View attachment 13868 hem off. They look good. I couldn’t cut the wiring that far back because the wiring harness is a fat bundle and I didn’t have the type of cutter big enough to cut into it. Also there is a chance I might have to limp my car to a different location at some point and I didn’t want to completely disable it.

Thank you for the picture, No problem with the wiring, one question do you have a PayPal account ?

#24 ·
Lol what is up with the rear glass rubber on MX6s. Are they made of sugar or something. All the ones i have seen in yards including mine are toast and dissolving away. But anyway yeah just lmk when you get a chance to check on the drivers side fog light. If there is no rust on the hardware and its clean/not cracked ill take it.

#25 ·
i sort of fixed the rear side trim by first sanding down the roughest areas, and then painting over it with a satin black enamel. then sand some more, then another coat. repeat until it is smooth, and I also made sure to tape over the glass and paint so just the trim gets sanded / painted. It didn't really fix the underlying problem but it looked a bit better from a distance at least.

no real rust underneath anywhere, and it never took a front end hit, so i am confident the fog light housing and hardware is still in good shape.

#43 ·
Sorry for the ghosting. Been very busy lately, and i still can't figure out how to ship something this large and oddly shaped. So far the only box i found that was large enough is too thin-walled to work. I do have a christmas tree box that I haven't tried yet, but it looks like it might be too short.

#46 ·
Sorry for the ghosting. Been very busy lately, and i still can't figure out how to ship something this large and oddly shaped. So far the only box i found that was large enough is too thin-walled to work. I do have a christmas tree box that I haven't tried yet, but it looks like it might be too short.
Hey man, I’m assuming you aren’t selling it anymore?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.