Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deal on a 96 mx-6 4 cyl. $300 with a mess up transmisson it needs a rebuild or replaced.It has a 140000 miles and in good conditon.How hard is it to replace transmisson or rebuild yourself.What should I expect to have to pay out.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Auto or manual?either way it's not too bad once you know what you're doing. First time I took my engine/tranney out, it took me a week to get it all out. I just had to re-do something on my tranney last week, and I got the bugger out in less than 2 hours. It's very straightforeward as long as you have the proper tools. Espescially a torque wrench(s) that go from 15Lbs to 240lbs, pry-bar for the axle(Both times I NEVER got the bugger out of the tranney, I cut the boot and disassembled it there), possibly an impact wrench for the axle nuts(needed it for 1) and the 10,12,14,15,17,19,21 and 32mm sockets

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mine was auto as well. The tranney will cost you a little more(unless it's a decked out manual), but the process is pretty straightforewards. Just make sure there isnt something on the torque converter that doestn belong there :) Mine had aa ring that looked like it should have been there, but was indeed not. took me a while to figure out it was the problem

·
Registered
223 Posts
mine was pretty much the same way, i got a 96 pgt for 400 with a bad tranny, bought a used ne at a local junkyard for $250(automatic) then that one was worse then my original one so they gave me a manual and let me pull all of the parts I needed out of one there. I think total after I was done including gas etc... was about $900-1000. If the car is in good shape I usually imagine the car was taken care of otherwise so I would probably imagine most everything else is in good/ decent shape to where it wont be a money pit when it is done. but for $300 I would go for it in a heartbeat if the car is in good shape otherwise.

·
Registered
829 Posts
mine was pretty much the same way, i got a 96 pgt for 400 with a bad tranny, bought a used ne at a local junkyard for $250(automatic) then that one was worse then my original one so they gave me a manual and let me pull all of the parts I needed out of one there. I think total after I was done including gas etc... was about $900-1000. If the car is in good shape I usually imagine the car was taken care of otherwise so I would probably imagine most everything else is in good/ decent shape to where it wont be a money pit when it is done. but for $300 I would go for it in a heartbeat if the car is in good shape otherwise.

+1

In addition as with any project you would be undertaking with this car, expect the project to snowball a little. Example being I wanted to just re move my tranney and motor, but I had to replace an axle due to complications, several links as the old ones were rusted to hell, my heater lines, etc.

It's very straight foreward, but dont be suprised if you find other things that you need to replace once you get going.
Or if you're in WI you can sell it to me :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts