Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put in a remote start in a 96 mx6 last night, everything went great, no problems, but then we found out it doesn't have power locks. Is there a write up or a how to install a door lock actuator?
Also there is a harness on the door (since we took the door panel off) halfway down the door towards the back that is unplugged, I think it had a yellow/red wire and a black wire. Nothing plugged into it, could this be for the option of a door lock actuator? We tried to run the wires through the door grommet but holy hell that is a tight fit and there is a plug in the way.
Can someone help me, I would like to order the actuator today.
Thanks

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
I don't think those wires are for an actuator as none of the mx6s came with a drivers door actuator, it's possibly for the factory alarm. If you search the site you may be able to find the info you need, I know I've seen people asking about it before and at least a couple of answers over the years. The passenger door already has an actuator as I'm sure you know that's controlled by the driver's door lock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is the only only way around this to get 2 relays and a door actuator?
Anyone have pics of an installed actuator? I found a bunch of universal ones off ebay for $9 shipped.

The hardest part will be, how do you run the wires through the door loom? There is a plug in there and each wire has it's own pin, so how do I get around that?

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
I'm not sure on the actual hardware you need, but for the loom, you can drill through an empty part of the plastic connector (I think the bottom few pins are unused), or you can take off the door and drill a new hole in the door and the car side, paint the exposed metal with a touch up brush, and use a rubber grommet to protect the wires from being cut. I did it the second way, and made it easy on the guy who installed my alarm and actuator.

Edit: This site has wiring schematics for the 93 and 94: Mazda Wiring

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 96. I have to see if I can fit a drill in there.
I got to say the damn hardest part of this is getting the stupid ash tray back in the proper way. Grr

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
the mx6 actually had optional remote entry so somewhere out there there are mx6's with stock drivers side door actuators. Passenger side door actuators can be found on most 6's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts