Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm coming back from my girlfriends house at about 12:30 tonight and i can see the clear tails in front. I'm like OK, No racing for me tonight not with this sucky ass cltuch. My clutch is burn to shit it slips so bad, when ever i floor it acts like its in nutral and just revs. but first and 2ed gear don't slip that much , i still have good power. SO i pull up next to this guy. This car is ****in tight, not riced at all the cool little gauages and its droped. He is not even paying attention. ANd i was like is that a GST and he was a super nice guys and he told me evrything he had done. Greddy intercooler, Godzilla blow off valve, intake and down pie, running with stock boost. SO i was like man your car is tight. Then the light turns green. I said " lets see that thing run". (its and automatic) so he floors it the same time i do. I held him though 1st gear, half way though 2ed then my clutch started to give and he passed me. He was already starting to gain on me in the middle of 2ed though. I was pretty pround how far i held him. I know he would have taken me even if my clutch was good, but I don't think he would have "smoked" me. After i get my 9pound fly wheel, spacers, ACT, and short shift, maybe it will be a good race. Those things at stock boost are not that incredbliy fast. But at the end i told him the car sounded great ( the blow off valve sounded incredilbe) and he was like damn your car is not slow at all. he ws like you got me through first but then i got you while in 2ed. I wasn't even going to be like uh...... my clutch is burtn. I just let it be he was cool guys. It was Fun. No BSing here!

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
GST, stock boost, atx... I'll believe it.

It's always nice to race someone without having to be all macho about it. There's something about car guys where it seems we always have to be rude to each other. Why? We love the same thing, spending absurd amounts of money to accomplish little more than higher insurance rates and speeding tickets to the point where we have 1 or 2 points left on our liscenses. I'll admit that I sometimes get carried away myself, laughing at rice burners and their drivers, but I usually try to be nice. The half dozen times I've been beat, I've always said something like "nice car" or more likely "what the hell did you do to that thing?"

I know this guy Shane who runs mid 13s in his Vtec Civic... He's one of the nicest guys I know, so I'll be nice to him when I beat him in one of my soon-to-be mid 10s Talon. :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
hey rick... where do you live? if you live close, i wanna run with your Tsi in my GSX. i wanna see how good my redline launch is compared to whatever you do...

ok... excuse me for being a dumba$s... never mind...LOL

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Actually, I'd love to race you, just for fun, but I live in Wisconsin.

What I do is rev up to 4500 rpm and let up off the clutch while giving it gas. Fastest way I know to burn a clutch, and I seem to get a really nice launch out of it, better than anything else I've tried.

A friend of mine just totalled his 97 GST. He's splitting the parts up between myself and a couple other DMSers. So far, all I'm really interested in (of what's still salvageable) is his throttle body. I'm going to cut it off right at the joint thing, and then weld it on to the joint on my 1G one, since the bore is actually slightly larger at the joint of the 1G ones.

Oh, and he's got some underdrive pulleys, but I don't know what kind.

The front end of 2Gs forms a really nice triangle if it hits a telephone pole dead-on.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
LOL... nice triangle?

i dont know why it works so good... maybe just a characteristic of this car, but, 7K and sidestep the clutch just throws me to the back of the seat...

what about the GSX? you ever try that in your 2G?

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Yeah, if you run a 2G straight into a telephone poll, tree, light post, etc. the middle of the bumper and everything behind it folds into a nice triangle, but the sides stay in pretty good condition.

With my 2G, with my 2600 lb clutch, it works a lot better. My guess is that my Talon's clutch is farther gone than yours. Darn!!! ;)

A bunch of friends and I are going to go up to the "illegal" strip tonight. At least five of us are going in DSMs, then there's going to be a 93 Plymouth Duster, two Civics, and a '65 Mustang 550 Fastback -- is that the Shelby? My friend Mike just had his extremely wealthy politician father buy that for him, and he's anxious to get the crap beat out of him by a bunch of 4-cylinders. I wonder if mine will beat him yet... 15 psi out of the stock turbo, with a K & N filter and no air can, plus all the other free mods I could find, save the weight reductions and the remove-the-left-headlight thing. I bet I will.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
not the headlight... the FOG light !!!!!

the intercooler is right behind the passenger fog light, pull it out and open the vents in the wheelwell with a screwdriver...

did you drill out the little thingy? (forgot what its called)

·
Registered
96 Posts
HEY RickBusarow!!!!

You have a 99 GSX?? I was considering this 95 GS-T....it has about 29 000 miles on it....so far the only thing the guy's told me is that it has a loose front axle that he's going to fix it....do you recommend me getting this car??? What probs should I look for??? Cuz I heard people having probs with their timing belts...but they don't go until around 60 000 miles I think...but if you have any suggestions on what kind of problems to look for in this car it would be EXTREMELY helpful...I want the car cuz it's damn nice, but I don't want it to break down on me or something...regular maintenance is fine...but I don't want to constantly do repairs! thanks!!

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Stage36 said:
not the headlight... the FOG light !!!!!

the intercooler is right behind the passenger fog light, pull it out and open the vents in the wheelwell with a screwdriver...

did you drill out the little thingy? (forgot what its called)
Both lights, then. I actually hadn't thought of the foglight... The intake is right behind the headlight. Just remove the little black vent thing that's in the way and you've got a little ram air thing going on.

And I still don't know what you're talking about. I've capped off all kinds of hoses and redirected stuff. And I've taken off various vents and splashguards. Whenever I've got nothing planned for... let's say a week, I'm going to remove my harmonic balancers. I believe those are all the free mods I've done.

And I was right... My clutch was farther gone than yours. Now I've got a Clutch Masters Stage 5. Don't quite need that much grip... Yet.

mx-6 LS said:
HEY RickBusarow!!!!

You have a 99 GSX?? I was considering this 95 GS-T....it has about 29 000 miles on it....so far the only thing the guy's told me is that it has a loose front axle that he's going to fix it....do you recommend me getting this car??? What probs should I look for??? Cuz I heard people having probs with their timing belts...but they don't go until around 60 000 miles I think...but if you have any suggestions on what kind of problems to look for in this car it would be EXTREMELY helpful...I want the car cuz it's damn nice, but I don't want it to break down on me or something...regular maintenance is fine...but I don't want to constantly do repairs! thanks!!
I would get it. I don't believe you'll have any problems with the timing belt. But if you do, it's just another opportunity for upgrades. DSMs are incredibly fast and they look awesome. I'd sell my soul for one, if I didn't already own two.

·
Registered
96 Posts
but say if I did have to replace it....any idea how much that would cost me? can any normal shop get their hands on parts for these cars? or would I have to go to a specific dealer or something?

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Sorry, I don't know how much the part would cost. That's the one downside to DSMs. Despite the fact that they were made in Normal, Illinois, they're considered imports. Every part costs just as much as Mx-6 parts do.

However, there's probably something on DSM.org about replacing timing belts. They've got instructions on how to do pretty much everything on there, with pictures. That makes things a lot simpler, and cheaper, if you have access to a garage and tools.

As far as I know, there are three things to look out for in DSMs. 1.) The clutch. They should have put much better clutches in right out of the factory. 2.) The idle speed. A lot of DSMs idle much too high when they're cold. This is easy to fix though, and instructions on how to do it are plentiful. 3.) Cops. Even stock, these things are hard to drive in the city. Sitting in third or fourh gear when you're used to driving a car capable of STARTING in fifth makes it very hard to avoid speeding. Also, cops love looking for little sports cars (especially red ones) to pull over for speeding. This is probably because they're jealous after driving around in Crown Vics and Impalas all day. @-

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
a stage 5?!?!?! jeez... chirping 2nd yet? how much you asking for the GSX? ill sell mine and buy yours})

try DSMTalk.com for the timing belt replacement and maintenence issues.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
How could I forget about Crankwalk?!?!?!?!?!?!? 2G Turbo DSMs suffer from crankwalk right around 80k miles. This is a serious, serious problem that most fix "simply" by replacing their engine with a rebuilt 1G.

My dad wants to by my GSX for $22k. Essentially, he'll then be paying for all of my tuition, but that's fine with him. He was going to buy a red atx 93 Rx-7 from this guy in Milwaukee, with his first mod being a auto/manual conversion, but someone bought it the day before he would have.

He's got lots and lots of money to throw into my GSX. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran 10s by next summer. Then he and I can race!!! :D My Frank 7 w/ the never-ending supporting mods versus his Frank 7 w/ the never-ending supporting mods!!! His "heavy" appearance-modded 2G versus my light typical not-exactly-looking-for-appearance 1G!!!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
youll kick his ass with the 1G. well... maybe.

you can ask him periodically how his bearings are doing...LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts