Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took apart the taillights and im goin to start to put leds into them and make the halo rings for my brake lights...hopefully it goes good

see the little lens piece in the middle of the taillight housing?

Well im goin to take that piece and put leds in it to make the circle

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
93htmx6 - you damn right this is the taillight! actually its my taillight but i was waiting for yours so i could start on this project...so if it turns out good...its all thanks to you!

metros - yup i used the oven....stuck it in there for 10 min at 325 degrees....make sure you dont take it out and and put it back in or open the oven door...cuz the warm/colder air gets in and it can warp the plastic

Xzinum - I dont know how many leds yet....it matters if im goin to use 5mm or 3mm...i still need to order the red leds....the 5 mm are bigger but i can use more if i use 3mm and it would possibly look better too...but i know im goin to use a LOT of leds

koisuruuagi - im goin to use the stock lens...cuz i dont like clear lens and that "euro" look...its too tacky...but yea stock lens and then if its decent ill keep it...if not then im goin to tint them black....sort of look like some rx-7 tails or something...

im thinkin of making 2 cirlces to be the parking lights and then when i brake i can make 2 inner circles light up...or just make the original circles light up even more...i dont know..there are so many options...what do you guys think? any ideas?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
circles would be nice.
the 3mm are a b*tch to work with but they will enable you to put them closer to eachother. I'm curious as to how you're gonna create your arrays. It could be tricky when making circles. I'm really interested in this project, i just might give it a shot.

edit: are the leds going to replace the bulbs completely?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
depending on the leds voltage, you can't drive more than 5 leds in series. In order to drive more than 5, you'll need an array. Let's say for example that you want 16 leds to light up your tail lights. Since you can't have more than five connected in series, you'll do 4 sets of 4 leds in series. Each set of 4 leds (not to overdrive them) will need a resistor on the negative end. The value in ohms of the resistors will vary depending on the size of your array. Refer to this wizard to calculate what your resistors should be. http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
Source voltage would be 14.4V
Diode forward current would be written on your led packaging (modsthatglow leds are usually ~3.3V)
Forward current would also be on the leds packaging (20 mA on mine)

once you have your array figured out, start soldering :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats a really good website...i ordered 100 ohm resistors with the leds i got....cuz thas the lowest ohm they had...so hopefully i can work something out.

arent there various people on here that wired like 10 leds without resistors?

what happens if i were to use like 10 leds in a series without a resistor?

·
Registered
485 Posts
When you wire leds in series you can basically add the voltage together, so, 10 3.3v led's in series (connected positive to negative) would be 33v. that's the power that would be required to make them light up, and that's why it wouldn't work. Given that a running car produces about 14.4v you'd want to put 4 led's in series to produce a 13.2v circuit and then add a resistor to compensate for the left over voltage. Now, parallel circuits maintain the same voltage, that's why we say wire 4 led's in series and then wire sets of those in parallel. It will maintain the same ~14v while allowing you to use more led's.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
use a 12volt regulator if you want to be very sure.
i would recommend using one resistor for 2 or 1 LEDs from my experiences.
i've tried the 4 leds in a rowmany time. and one always stars flickering then it goes out and all 4 dies.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
damn...im goin to be using a lot of leds then...well i havent really gotten any farhter on these lights...cuz im waitin for my leds to come in...i bought 100 red ones and 100 orange ones with 100 ohm resistors...thas the lowest they went....so im sure the 100 ohm will precent them from dying because that one website said i should use 68 ohm resistors

but yea ill keep everyone updated on the progress...hopefully the leds come in soon

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
good luck with this theres going to be lots of wiring and hotglue :)

Heres a suggestion if you dont want to do all the wiring yourself.

Go to ebay, and type in led trailer lights.

Then buy some of them (really cheap) and pull the led/pcb board out of them and retrofit to the taillight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts