Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other day some lil punk thought it would be funny to take off my hood pins while i was inside my house..

so i start driving down my street....and my hood flies up and i cant see anything....luckily it was carbon fiber and the windshield didnt break...BUT

the hinges that are on the hood snapped and i cant replace them because i already molded on my sideskirts and i cant take off my front fenders to replace the hinges. So im putting 4 hood pins on my car so my hood stays on plus my hood latch.

But since everyone has hood pins and im goin to have 4...i want to make it unique... I was wondering if anyone has ever considered fiberglassin the hoodpins onto the hood and molding them onto that so it would look really clean and smooth. I might consider doin this so it looks really clean because i have to fix my hood anyways so im goin to paint it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
actually if you wantd to be really slick... you could try the Buick Mod

take a close look at how a buick regal.. i think... latches its hood, its just a pin that presses into a round hole... if you try hard enough, you could get them mounted up near your windshield, and attach the pins to the underside of your hood... so now you wouldnt even see the rear latches... and you wont have 4 ugly chrome circles on your hood

i did this on my sunfire when i went with the suicide hood mod... it was 3 years ago... thats why i cant remember where i got the latches

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Sorry for your hood breaking, but last time i checked the hood hinges are mounted to the fender support, and not even touching the fender itself.

I like the idea of molded hood pins, but realize that the pins will scratch the paint since there will be no metal plate for them to contact.

You hood latch doesnt work? I see no reason why your hood woulda fly open unless the latch is dysfunctional.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Stealth said:
Sorry for your hood breaking, but last time i checked the hood hinges are mounted to the fender support, and not even touching the fender itself.
I thought so as well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill show pics...the hood latch is under the fender and i cant reach the bolt....

and my hood latch doesnt work...well another pic ill post hold on

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so there is the hinge

see there is a bolt underneath the fender and there is another bolt on the left of that one a lil further underneath the fender...and i cant take it off...i dont know what to do...cuz i dont want that damn hinge there anymore

notice i dont have a hood latch...because my frame was bent back like 2 cm and now the hood latch doesnt connect to my hood right....

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
well i'd say the hoods trash, i don't know a lot about CF, but i don't think you could repair that, correct me if i'm wrong, even with molded skirts, you should be able to remove the bolts and get the hinge out, you wouldn't have to remove the fender.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Your argument for not removing the fender was that your kit is moulded right? If so, I'm willing to bet you can peel it back far enough to get that bolt out.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
ur effing lucky to not have had ur windshield shatter on you... believe its not fun!!:cry:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can try to peel it back i hope it doesnt crack my bondo....but wait...my door jamb is molded too...so i dont want that to crack that.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i think hes just being fking lazy.... gimmie 10 minutes and a set of box end wrenches and ill fix that shit for you... slacker

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
HankookMX6 said:
i can try to peel it back i hope it doesnt crack my bondo....but wait...my door jamb is molded too...so i dont want that to crack that.....
Why would it be moulded inside the door seam that you can't see?.. or is it that your doors are moulded shut so you have to get in and out through the windows?

Side note.. I think you might be on to something Keith. And to top it off, he probably thinks hood pins look cool so that's just another reason to push for double coolness of having 4 instead of 2.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
well, i just went and looked at my car, with the hood off, your should have no problem accessing it, and if your hinges are bent beyond repair, then just cut the big piece that's blocking the bolt off. then you can put new ones on, and no more hood pins! YAY!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what do you mean why would it be molded there? inside the door jamb...the side skirt is ugly so i wanted to to mold that too so it looked like the whole skirt was molded to the car...so then when people open my door they dont see the skirt

i jus want that clean look...and another thing...if i can get the hinges off then i wont worry bout the 4 hood pins...but until then...i have to use them because my hood latch dont work either....so i need the pins and that carbon catches underneath the slightest wind...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts