Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever painted a carbon fiber hood? is it any different from paintin a regular hood? just scuff it up a bit?

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Yes, sand with 400 then 600 then spray primer, and go back 400, 600, then base coat and clear.

Same as usual :)

I have a pic of a painted invader hood ill post when i get home.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
well carbon fibers original purpose was weight savings, not appearance, so really it was meant to be painted. but darn that stuff looks so gorgeous, just with some cars it needs to be painted, doesn't ALWAYS match.

·
Registered
283 Posts
my question is does it stay on or does it chip over time? i had the same question since i just bought a vis hood

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
with proper prep, it will ast just as long as any other paint job. Almost all CF hoods have a clear coat on them, so it's no different than repainting anything else. I have painted a couple at our shop, no difference at all. Sometimes it seems like a shame to cover that beauty.:cry:

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I like accent painted cf hoods with the body color incorporated into a design on the cf hood. it looks awesome if done correctly.

·
Registered
283 Posts
well i think with probes painting the sides of the hoods on both sides makes the hood flow better because of the headlights

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Trent said:
I like accent painted cf hoods with the body color incorporated into a design on the cf hood. it looks awesome if done correctly.
I also like that as well. Ill probablly end up doing that because i cracked my hood already :rocket:

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
whats wrong with hood pins? id feel much safer having another thing keeping that hood down than our crappy OEM latch. if uve ever had a hood flip up and come through the windshield while ur driving youll know exactly where im coming from..

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I want a OEM fiberglass hood, not cf. I don't want to buy a cf oem hood and then go and paint it, seems kinda pointless(since the only reason the cf is on there is to make it look better, since an ALL CF hood would cost $1,000+)

·
Registered
283 Posts
well see the problem im having is i like cf but i think the headlights break up the flow of the front so i was gonna paint the cf so it incorperated the headlights into the design but yet left the middle unpainted so i would still have the cf look ... get what im saying?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
would you extend the lines past the vent all the way to the front of the hood? i can visualize it easily on an mx6 but with a probe....the headlights are farther apart. i would have to see a vader probe hood to see. i would love someone to do this on an mx6 just to see if looks good or not. i would love a CF vader hood but i dont want it to stand out and i dont want it totally painted so this would be a nice compromise.

·
Registered
283 Posts
yea well visualize this if you can and if someone could photoshop it it would be nice. i want to go with the side humps that are on the probe hoods cause probe hoods sink down in the middle and just leave the entire middle cf ... any opinions?

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
here is a chop of what i beleive you mean. sorry bout the gay car, it was the only pics i could find on PT with the hood on a lighter car.

instead of thanking me, why don't we all click that little check mark under my post. well, you can thnak me too.:muhaha:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts