Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive already searched and been readin all the forums about the coilover kits and shit...but everyone has different opinions and i keep hearin a lot about the illuminas and stuff....but i jus need a quick answer....because im bout to buy some coilover kits

whats better...money is not a factor here.. the ksports kit or the tociko kits?

or are there any better coilover kits out there? i wanna get the ksports but i dont know if they are good...im lookin for a kit that will drop my car but also give me the best ride performance...

any one know a kit that will give me the BEST ride performance? or does anyone know how the ksport kits are?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
HankookMX6 said:
Ive already searched and been readin all the forums about the coilover kits and [shizzle]...but everyone has different opinions and i keep hearin a lot about the illuminas and stuff....but i jus need a quick answer....because im bout to buy some coilover kits

whats better...money is not a factor here.. the ksports kit or the tociko kits?

or are there any better coilover kits out there? i wanna get the ksports but i dont know if they are good...im lookin for a kit that will drop my car but also give me the best ride performance...

any one know a kit that will give me the BEST ride performance? or does anyone know how the ksport kits are?
Let's get one thing straight here that you seem to have misunderstood, forgotten, or never knew to begin with:

The Ksports are a complete coilover with a spring over a strut body.

Tokico does not make an comparable product. They only make struts, or struts packaged with run of the mill lowering springs. If you plan to use a sleeve-type coilover (Ground Control, Dropzone, any generic Ebay POS) with a stock shaped (ie: stock, KYB GR2, any Tokico, whatever) strut, you WILL have to cut off the spring perches to get the maximum effect. Likewise, you will still need to retain the use of the OEM strut mounts.

To make a long story short, save yourself the hassle of cutting spring perches off your strut, worrying about strut mounts and whatever else and just buy the Ksports.

And for the love of God, stop starting every thread with "_-"... it's really annoying.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
even if you were to compare the two - ksport's setup blows the ground control/illumina combo out of the water.

however, if money is no object - tein has a coilover setup coming very soon and i expect them to be at least as good as the ksports.. possibly better.

go to probetalk and do a search for my own ksport reviews as well as jeffL's

What exactly are your goals.. ie: what do you mean by ride performance - it means something different to everyone, based on their goals.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you know when the tein setup will be coming out and is it a full coilover kit like malicious was saying?

by ride performance i want a kit that will take corners really good and have a really soft comfortable ride also...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
HankookMX6 said:
do you know when the tein setup will be coming out and is it a full coilover kit like malicious was saying?

by ride performance i want a kit that will take corners really good and have a really soft comfortable ride also...
well there is a test mule on the road for the past couple of months actually - a PGT over on probetalk... i don't know the specific dates..

it will be a true coil-on-strut coilover, like the ksports.. its equivalent to their super-street line (go to their website for details and pics) and should be in teh 1200-1500.00 (US) range, if it follows their other vehicle's pricing.

if you need themright away - the ksports meet your demands already, imo. i havent been happier in the year+ that i've had them on.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
of right on....thas what i wanted to hear....i think ill get the ksports then....i was really interested in them but i didnt hear anyone that acutally had them and said they were wonderful....

so they are basically a bolt on? but with the brake line problem on the rear correct?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
no brake line "problems" - just no mounting tab for them built in. instead they include bendable brackets, for you to c-clamp them on with. perfectly workable solution.. just that they dont specify what those brackets are and many people don't know when they see them, so left them off lol!

here's how jeff L solved the issue with teh abs, and bent the brake brackets. http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=178920

the only real issue with them IMO is the fact that there is no hole for the abs sensor's wire (does not affect the mounting of the actual sensor) due to the design where you CANT have a bolt protruding into the strut body, where there is now a threaded sleeve... and for some reason didn't make provisions for the stock location between the hub bolts... even that can be solved though.. clip teh wings off that abs bracket and put it in between a strut mount bolt and body. (a la jeff's pic abve)

i used zip ties. :)

below are a few reviews from some of use original ksport owners, as well as tein info.

keep in mind, were i making this decision NOW, i might have waited for the teins... but at the time i got them, it was either ksports, or ledas (costing 2x as much at the time) for this level of suspension performance. not even the awr stuff was out yet.

UNLIKE certain probetalk members i am not pre-biased. my money is important to me, and i don't spend it lightly, and i dont give praise just to justify my money spent.. i have sold products at a loss quicker than you can say "sold" when i didnt like them.

You'll hear talk of how tein's kit is superior in everyway, at the same price as the ksports.. from people who have ZERO wheel time in a ksport equipped probe or mx6 as well as the fact that the teins are not even out yet. hmm.. LOTS of empirical data to base THAT assumption on, right? the same is said for the tein vs awr stuff, (another consideration you might have.. the AWR setup... they use bilstein inserts and are a definite contender in the coilover wars :)

While it may turn out that they (tein) are indeed very much superior to the ksports... i find those "pre-opinions" laughable, all things considered. Such pre-opinions and suppositions are also perfectly predictable on PT as these same people pulled the same comments out of their butt with other products (such as the hei mods, etc)... it may or may not be accurate... thats all there is to it :)

all i DO know is that (as i've said many times over) with my green 6 possibly in the top 10 maintained cars on either site.. nothing was overlooked in the engine bay OR on the chassis... and there wasnt a bushing, mount, joint, link, or even nut or bolt (on the chassis wear items) that had more than 10k miles on it by the time i started suspension mods... and the ksports were as big of an improvement over the eibach/tokico combo as the eibach/tokico combo was over the stock stuff. (eibach/tok widely regarded as the best overall/ all around setup, though not coilover) - if the teins are at least that good, its still an incredible achievment :) i honestly DO hope they are EXTREMELY good. maybe i'll be the guy to do a direct comparo (looking at another 2g to keep unboosted. might have to throw teins on it lol) other than the hole in my pocket, its a win/win situation IMO. lol.

one thing the teins WILL have that the ksports will NEVER EVER have (unless redesigned) - is the ability to add an in-car damping (NOT height) adjustment module. this also pushes the cost up, but depending on your uses, can be WELL worth it...

links:

tein specs and info: http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701171582

awr specs and info:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108101&highlight=awr+coilover

ksport owner reviews and info

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701182032

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701176374

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701168439&highlight=ksport

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701164640&highlight=ksport

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701108645&highlight=ksport

anyways there are quite a few good contenders. awr, ksport or tein, your money will be well spent. leda too, if they are still available!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Goat,

with a servo controller, some basic programming, and a few strut servos (i.e. from a 1g probe/626/mx6) one can make the ksports or Tokicos "in-car" adjustable ;)

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i was thinking that - but do you know how deep the hex keys for the struts go down? its a 5-6" adjustement knob that all but diasappears... and they're capped at the bottom. would there be enough underhood clearance for this?

·
Banned
9 Posts
yea i've thought about buying the Tein controller and puttin it on, because it would be easy but i don't think there is enough room.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts