Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I went to the junkyard the other day. I was walking up to the rows that housed Mazda's and came up behind what appeared to be a 626 with the trunk open, I passed the rear end and came to the drivers side door to look at the condition of the interior, a quick glance at the door sill sticker read "made in Japan" which could mean the car came from Canada or Japan}) I come around the front of the car and quickly glance through the side of the opened hood to notice what is quickly appearing to be a DOHC MOTOR.....IT CAN'T BE......AN FE3?????....AT THE JUNKYARD???:eek: I get fully squared in the front of the car and notice right away, that while indeed it IS a DOHC, but sadly ISN'T an FE3.......

What it was, was a 91 DOHC 323

F#&kin body [email protected] :lol:

what do you think of the motor though? I'm sure it would be an easier task to pop in and turbo rather than going the Kia Sportage route no?

damn computer froze :lol:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
SixSick6 said:
I went to the junkyard the other day. I was walking up to the rows and came up behind what appeared to be a 626 with the trunk open, I passed the rear end and came.
I come around the front of the car and through the side of the opened hood.
to what is quickly appearing to be a DOHC MOTOR.....IT CAN'T BE......AN FE3?????....AT THE JUNKYARD???:eek: I get fully squared in the front of the car and notice right away,
that while indeed it IS
What it was, was a 91 DOHC 323
F#&kin body [email protected] :lol:
what do you think of the motor though? I'm sure it would be an easier task to pop
damn computer froze :lol:
Man Sick, what were ya smokin' while going up the Mazda row ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I hate when that happens think you found something good and then it is nothing speciall

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
one toke over the line........

SixSick6 said:
the body was:shrug:
it all happened so fast, but at the time, in a flash of a millisecond, it appeared that I had stumbled onto something

Man Sick, ya better stay in New Year's Eve.........
it's hard tellin what may come up lookin good from behind !
Ha, hah.....jk:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: one toke over the line........

johniebgoode said:
Man Sick, ya better stay in New Year's Eve.........
it's hard tellin what may come up lookin good from behind !
Ha, hah.....jk:)
oh man that is funny

G

·
Sick, Thats a B6-DE motor, 1.6 Litres of displacement. (Did it have a turbo? Then its the B6-DET (Better known by its nickname, B6T) motor, but someone probably swapped it in)

A very similar engine in design to the FE-DOHC, just smaller in every way (Block and head physically smaller, bore and stroke physically smaller), it has a different style of bellhousing than the F series of engines,so it will not mate to our transmissions. You can tell a B series motor from a F series motor because the F series has a timing belt driven water pump, while the B series is driven by the alternator belt.

The B6-DET has 130hp stock, while I belive the B6-DE has 95hp (Could be higher, I'm going from memory).

These are great motors (Especially the B6-DET) for light cars such as the 323 and the Festiva, coupled with a few mods and a
beefed up transmission you can have a street legend.

Now that I think about it, in a '91 you may have seen a BP in it. Same idea as the B6, just a little larger, at 1.8 litres.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
yeah it was 1.8 non turbo, I've seen plenty of the 1.6 323 turbo and even 626 turbo's in the junkies. I know it isnt a direct swap into the MX6, or even one that you would WANT to do (speaking towards the 1.6). But I did think of a Festiva. SD6 said he thought the motor might be one in the same with a certain year Miata no? All in all it was a nice looking motor, really clean, the part that got me was how the car LOOKED like a 626, and when I rounded the corner the first thing I saw was a DOHC motor staring at me:eek:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Re: Re: one toke over the line........

SixSick6 said:
How IS your mom by the way?
:lol:

Sick;
Nice of you to ask of my mom.......
She's resting peacefully in heaven, more than I can say about either one of our eternal futures.
I do dearly miss her, especially over the holidays. If your mother is still alive, give her a big hug from both of us !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts