Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear guys,

Recently, I brought my old 90 mx-6 LX for a ride because I have to sell it soon. Anyways, in drive and having my foot on the brake, i have a rough idle, i think the rpm's are low. Could it be something else, i checked the air filter, plugs, and spark plugs. could it be the distributor? please let me know.

thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know what your talking about I have the same problem I have an 89 LX

·
Registered
449 Posts
Your PCV valve could be clogged and/or the vac advance has died. Could be your simple answers.

Another possiblity is that one of your four cylinders are not firing. For other reasons than the plugs and wires. You may want to do a compression check.

When you are saying rough, you mean the engine is shuddering during idle correct? How long has the car sat without running? Could be that the battery is low so the alternator could be causing the problems.

[Edited by hurddawg on 11-28-2000 at 06:13 PM]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, the car has a new battery, the idle definately shudders. i check the plugs and the wires now, I have to find the pcv valve. i don't know where that is located but I'll ask my mechanic about it.

thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
449 Posts
it's located in the valve cover. When looking at the intake mainfold, you can see a small tube about a 1/4" in diameter run from the center of the manifold to the left side of the valve cover. Disconnect the tube on the valve cover end and you'll see a plastic thing stuck in a rubber grommet. Pull out the plastic thing. The plastic thing is the PCV valve.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Actually, vibration at idle in gear on ATX equipped cars is normal behavior. Annoying, but normal. Mazda released a TSB on this for updated motor mounts and radiator supports. My old '89 mx-6 ATX did this all the time, and it's driving my friend crazy (Kenny505, the car's new owner).

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's Kennymx6! :p Yea it sucks. It seems the only way to fix it is to turn up the idle to 1,200. Hehe. I sure am not going to do that. I do have an alternative though. Turn the radio on when ever you come to a stop. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts