Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, my A/C went out yesterday. I look under the hood and where the metal part of the clutch on the A/C is there is a black maybe ruber or platic under it, well mine as started to gum up like it is being rubed away (Friction). Can I replace just that part or will it the whole damn thing. If I got to replace it what is involved in coverting to the new freon stuff ??
Thanks !!

91 MX6 Turbo: CD, JBL Speakers, Increased Boost (2 turns), looking for new rims
Western North Carolina:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First thing...if you need to replace the compressor, you will also need to replace the dryer. I think the dryer is located under the right fender and it will need to come off. As far as converting from R12 to R134, that shouldn't be much of a problem as the fittings will need to be adapted to the R134 fittings. If you want to change the expansion valve in the dash, I believe that involves taking the dash out. Suggestion; if you intend on keeping the vehicle as I do, you may want to check into purchasing a Mazda shop manual. It covers everything from repair and troubleshooting to rebuilding the engine. Hope this is somewhat helpful.....
Also, I'm curious as to what you did to increase the boost two turns. My waste gate is inoperative and as previously posted, I don't know what to do to get the overboost alarm from going off and engine from cutting out...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

Why do I need to replace tne dryer ? If all that is bad is the rubber between the two metal clutches ? As for your question I turned the BCM two turns out.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
You do not NEED to replace the drier. My compressor was replaced and it works just fine w/o replacing the drier. However, I believe it is "recommended" that you replace the drier.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
DID IT COST YOU OUT THE ASS TO GET REPLACED ?
Yes. Cost me about $650 to get the compressor and clutch replaced at the Mazda dealer about a year and a half ago. Maybe you can get it done cheaper, but you'll probably have to do the same thing, because I also had a problem with the a/c clutch (it was dragging, making a hell of a noise) and they told me my compressor was damaged because of it, and so they had to replace the whole compressor and the clutch.

I've never heard of anyone just replacing the a/c clutch... anyone actually done it?

I recently (three weeks ago) had to get my a/c system recharged with R12 (it was low) for about $100. Blows nice and cold now, though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts