Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my a/c works, it just takes a little longer than it should to get cold. I noticed that the compressor turns on/off/on/off. too quick.
The sight glass shows some bubbles so it is a little low on refrigerant. Its been like this since I have owned it ( over 2 years ). who know when the last a/c service was, or ever.
I can't find anyone that will service r12 without just a complete conversion to newer systems.
They sell r12 on eBay which would probably get this back to where it should be
I don't see a low side port. I see the high side.
The only other port I can see is on the compressor itself. Does anyone know if that is the Low side.
The pipe just to the right is the low side.
the pipe to the right and back is high side.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can get conversion fittings at just about any local auto parts store. They're about $10 bucks for a kit and you just screw them on top of your R12 fittings. This will allow you to put R134a into the system.

As far as the cycling issue is concerned - I would put money on it being the pressure switch that's attached to the accumulator (?) that is mounted to the firewall where the low side fill port is. My car was doing this and I replaced the switch which was about $20 bucks and it was all good to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't have a low side fill port anywhere on the piping. On the piping I only see the high side. The pipe from firewall goes directly to compressor with no switch or port. The high side has a port and a sight glass.
The only port I can see other than the high one is on the compressor. It is lined up with then low side piping, so I am thinking that is the low side port.
As far as pressure switch, I can't see it. There is no switch along the piping from firewall to compressor. Might be hidden down by the condenser or drier.
Also yesterday was a really hot day. So I just decided to let it run
It wasn't short cycling after a few minutes.
Its was actually cooling the car very well. It became too cold. so pressed the eco switch.
Then it didn't seem to cool much at all. It was a huge difference. Turned off the eco
and cooled way down.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I complete redid my ac system. I can only advise general information:

bubbles would be air bubbles, that can cause the ac to not operate as effectively
there must be 2 pipes/hoses, a low side and a high side. The low side is always the bigger diameter pipe. I would think there must a be low side port somewhere in the low side piping.
ac compressors come in many different price ranges, the higher the price, the lower it can cool the temperature
how cold does the temperature get after ac has run awhile ?

Other issue: does anyone have advise or experience if the front license plate blocks some of the front intake, will that cause the ac condensor to not work as well, leading to higher cooling temperatures when the car is moving at less than highway speeds ?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Swap the fittings over to R-134 then take it to a shop and have them pull vacuum on the system and charge it. Once that's done, in the future when it starts getting weak aka blowing warmer air you can just get a can and put it in yourself. I did that for years before mine died. Doesn't have air now, but maybe in the future

1 - 6 of 6 Posts