Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking over the A/C system under the hood, this weekend I plan on replacing the compressor/receiver drier/expansion valve. Here's my question:

The receiver drier is tucked pretty far forward, behind the bumper almost.... to get to it, should I remove the entire bumper assembly? Also (those w/a shop manual), where in the heck do I find the expansion valve?

Thanks to those who can help me out w/this!
Rich.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just refreshing the thread.....

Last chance... anyone ever done this? I'm tearing into it tonight when it cools down outside.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You know that once you release the refrigerant, you have no more A/C. Check the o-rings and gaskets, replace if needed. You'll have to remove the bumper to get to the reciever drier. Recharging your A/C will cost about 300+ since you'll have no more refrigerant.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTN

Thanks for the reply. I just wasn't sure if it was possible to get to the receiver drier w/o removing the bumper.

And yes, to flush/vaccuum/refill the R12 will cost around 350ish. Better to do some of the work and save 400 bucks in labor!

Any ideas on that expansion valve?

thanks - Rich.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The expansion valve is in the evaporater box under the dash. Have fun with that. It comes out in pieces. I believe that you remove the blower housing first and then the evap. case. Don't quote me on that. You may be able to get it out without removing the blower case. I just don't remember.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You do not have to remove the bumper to replace the reciever/drier. First you remove the grille between the headlights. Then the passenger side turn signal light assembly. Then the complete passenger side head light assembly with mounting bracket. Then you will have easy access to the reciever/drier from the top. You can also reach through the space in the bumper so you can use both hands to work on it. The expansion valve is located under the passenger side dash as part of the heater box assembly. I've never replaced one so I don't know how diffficult the access is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
removing the bumper will make it way easier and save you a lot of time. if you don't have a lot of tools, it'd be best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts