Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a '91 Mx-6 DX w/ 140k on it. I had my a/c compressor replaced at the mazda dealer about a year and a half ago, and now it's rattling again, leading me to believe it's shot once again. I'm not sure as to the warranty the dealer will offer on the part, but i'm wondering if driving the car with the a/c compressor rattling like hell is going to hurt anything on the car. Please give me any help you can.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Are you certain it's the A/C compressor? Perhaps it's the power steering pump...

If it is the compressor, I'd go back to Mazda a bitch like hell. I think Mazda parts only carry a 12 month warrantee, but 18 months is way too freaking short a life span for a $600 part. Any service/parts manager with any automotive marbles will admit to this.

Give 'em hell...

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm fairly certain it is the a/c compressor, but I'm not absolutely sure yet. The thing that really sucks is I attempted to call the dealer which the car was fixed at 18 months ago, and what do you know, they're out of business! Looks like I'm screwed. I'm going to get in there and really look at it tonight, so I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
405 Posts
my a/c compresser rattles too. i found that mine is a bolt on the front side that is for belt tensioning. it must have come loose and stripped the threads out from rattiling. i just havent had time to mess with it, but i am supposing a new bolt would fix it. you might have a totally different problem but i would check it out. i would rather replace a bolt than a compressor.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just went at it and found that it was indeed the power steering pump that is making the noise. I found this by simply turning the wheel while parked and noticing the noise increase quite a bit.... i'm now tearing apart the thing and going to replace the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts