Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with refilling the r12 air condintioning on a '93 mx6. I bought a 12 ounce r12 refrigerant and refilled the tank. I had a/c for about a couple of day but a week later it the a/c appeared empty. I tried to diagnose for any air leaks by listening around the engine bay while running the a/c but heard nothing.

does anyone know how i could troubleshoot this issue a little better. I have another can of r12 but i'm hesitant to use it unless i know that there is no leak in the tubing.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

oli

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Air conditioners don't have a "tank" per se. The tubing, compressor, drier, expansion valve, condenser and evaporator hold the refrigerant and oil.

If your A/C isn't blowing out cold, you most likely have a leak. There isn't much of a point in recharging a system if it has a leak, especially with the $35+/pound R-12.

Your best bet would be to go to a shop with a leak detector (sniffer) or get some dye used to find a leak.

You'll probably find a leak in the condenser or evaporator or at one of the o-rings connecting some of the components.

It's going to take more than one can of refrigerant to fill the system, and if you have to replace a component, you'll have to have the system evacuated, oil-charged, and refrigerant charged.

Tyson

1 - 2 of 2 Posts