Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started just the day before yesterday (5/16/01). Driving on along, and I noticed that the car would slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up, as if something were dragging it down for a second, then release.

I assumed that my A/C must have lost a lot of freon, and the compressor was turning off and on. I pulled over, sure enough, the compressor was turning off and on.

So I go home, and later go somewhere else, A/C blows real cool, functions normal. I checked the connection at the compressor--it is good. Then, yesterday, it did the same thing. It started cycling, then I turned it off for a little while, then turned it back on (did this a few times), and then it started functioning properly.

Maybe it has something to do with an A/C component getting hot or something? I don't know. Any ideas? Is this a relay somewhere? HELP!! It is too hot in Texas to not have an A/C!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
To be honest, this doesn't sound abnormal provided your running your a/c in the "econo" mode.

In that mode the compressor does cycle on and off.

Did you inadvertently hit the button without realizing?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it wasn't in Economode--1st thing I checked.

Also, usually, it will not even do it that bad in economy mode. It sucks, and was cycling so much, it wouldn't get cold.

Thanks for the response though.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Which part is it that either opens or closes or switches on and off to allow for the refrigerant to be compressed and then be expanded? The expansion valve or is it that high pressure switch associated with the the condensor?

I know it's no help but it sounds like some electrical problem or switch problem. Something's telling the compressor to compress but then telling it doesn't need to anymore.

I honestly don't know much about a/c systems other than when they're not working properly.

Just got mine out of the shop with a $520 bill. That in combo with the $630 repair I suffer about 24 months ago puts up near the $1200 mark to date.

[Edited by Turbobink on 05-18-2001 at 03:27 PM]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbobink said:
Just got mine out of the shop with a $520 bill. That in combo with the $630 repair I suffer about 24 months ago puts up near the $1200 mark to date.
[Edited by Turbobink on 05-18-2001 at 03:27 PM]
Yeah, it can easily add up to alot. I think I've already put about $600 into mine in about Month. I hate having to pay for labor. I hate not having a garage.

Anyway, got the mechanic to check it out, got plenty of freon and worked perfectly for him. I'm confident it is electrical, a relay, or loose wire. I need to trace the wires I guess. But my mechanic didn't charge any thing...phew.

So still not sure what is going on. I love mysteries.....heck yeah!!!! (I'm being extremely sarcastic)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just a thought. Is you car running hot? If it is, the hi side pressure will get too high and cut the compressor off. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I had it looked at by my mechanic, who seemed agitated cause it acted normal for him. he checked the freon Level, was good, and all that. I drove the car all weekend, A/C never did it again.....Go figure.

And no, the car is running cool.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Odd, it sounds like the thing is low on freon. Mine does the same thing on cooler days (but I know mine's low on freon). Maybe it's the pressure switch? Does your condensor fan run?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both fans work good. I guess I'll have to wait until it does it more often.

·
Registered
449 Posts
maybe the thermoswitch on top of the evaporator is dying a slow death. But then again I'm no A/C expert.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts