Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my first warning: people in auto parts stores who say they know what they're talking about, obviously don't.

That said, I tried doing my own R134a conversion, after I had a hose replaced that had a rather large hole in it. I picked up the kit, and asked the guy how much R134a gas to put in, he told me to load the can of oil mix first (about 4 ounces oil, 8 ounces R134a), then load the next 2 cans of R134a (24 ounces total) and to load about half of the third R134a can in the kit, bringing my grand total to 38 ounces of gas. I had him DOUBLE CHECK, and he said that was the correct amount. Well, I loaded it in with no problem, drove off thrilled to have icy a/c... then it happened.

I saw large amounts of smoke coming out of my hood. The left side of my compressor (the belt -clutch- side) was glowing RED hot. So, I turned the A/C off, and took it to an A/C repair shop and had them check my system pressure, he said it was above 85 psi. No wonder my compressor is now FUBAR, combining the fact that R134a naturally has a higher operating pressure than R12, and that (*[email protected])([email protected]*(@*!! idiot told me to put in about DOUBLE the gas I needed to, I'm sure I need to at LEAST replace the compressor clutch (little black shreds of the clutch are all over my engine bay), maybe the whole compressor itself.

So I went back to talk to the guy where I bought the conversion kit, and he told me neither he or his company is going to pay for any damages caused by my conversion, even though I did exactly as he told me to do, and his manager basically echoed the same speech back to me.

So that leaves me where I'm at now, does anyone know what I can do or what my legal rights are as far as compensation is involved? I didn't see any written policy anywhere in the store, that said, "Don't trust the guy at the counter, if you do, we wont fix anything that goes wrong."...or anything to that effect.

Anyone have a good compressor they want to sell? I think I'm in the market now.

Oh, one more thing... if it happens to be just the clutch that's bad, how hard is it to replace the compressor clutch? I can handle moderately difficult repairs, I just want to know if this is something better left to the true professionals or if I can whack it into place somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Damn dood that sucks! The box on the retrofit kit should've indicated that you're supposed to use like 30% less R134a than you would with R12. I dont think it's too hard to replace the compressor, and you can likely get a rebuilt one at a decent price from carparts.com. Hope you get it working soon!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I hope I get it working soon too. The weather is too damn hot, and I really don't want to go another summer in a sweatbox.

Oddly enough, I did a search on the internet for a replacement compressor, (Nippondenso 10P13A) and found that Ford Festivas used the same model. One big difference though, the Festiva probably uses it to drive the wheels :p

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Good luck getting a compressor clutch. When my a/c broke approx. 1.5 years ago, my compressor clutch was fried as well, and when I went to the local Mazda dealer to get a new one, the guy told my that buying a new compressor clutch costed something like $500, and buying the whole compressor WITH the clutch included was the exact same amount! I don't know what the hell was up with that, but good luck finding that part, if it's available somewhere at a decent price!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I might be able to find a compressor clutch, if not, I already found a whole compressor. Its used but probably in decent shape, and for $125 I wont complain too much. The place I hope to get it from ( http://www.kerodgersmazda.com/ ) is pretty much my new parts headquarters, yeah its a 2 hour drive but well worth it. Its outside of York, PA... one hour from Philly, 45 minutes from Baltimore, 3 hours from NYC.

I was there Tuesday and the parts guy told me, "I'd be willing to bet we've got one of everything for a 1st gen MX-6, hell, we could probably put 2 or 3 together just from our boxes of parts..."

I'd say...if you're within a 4 hour drive of these guys, check it out, it is *SO* worth it to find a parts dealer who doesn't look at you like you want an obscure part from a 1981 Peugeot when you want something for your MX6. Shit, they gave me the A/C tube I needed for free, just because it would have cost them more to put it on my credit card than it was worth to them. Really great guys.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Heatseeker. Hey, I just had my A/C clutch replaced, my mechanic charged me $250. He said you have to have a puller to get it off--I'd prefer to have him do it.

I doubt though that it is just the clutch, if your compressor was red hot, consider it fried (cause if it ain't, it will be soon).

Anyway, I have a 1990 GT, with wrecked, the A/C was blowing cold. If you're interested, make me an offer on it, I could ship it to you. How quick would you need it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey - what store did this to you? It wouldn't happen to be a national chain would it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had my compressor go out a year or two ago and had the option of buying a new one with or without the clutch. Looked like a bitch to pull it (apparently special tools are required), so I just bought a new one with the clutch. You'll probably want to look into a new compressor with clutch or having someone do it for you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey, email me Jiffy, [email protected]
I wanna chat about the A/C from your wrecked car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Erf, it was Advance Auto Parts that did this travesty to me.

Jiffy- Sure I'd take it, if it works, how much do you want? Its not like I need it yesterday, but whenever you can pull it and mail it would be cool.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
That really sucks...i'd honestly start threatening the manager, have your dad or any large member of your family go in and talk about slapping him with a law suit, or just a plain ass-beating...he should break down and pay. My friend actually had a similar problem with a parts store giving him the wrong part and ruining things in his car....they eventually broke down when the manager got a call from his lawyer :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
OK - here are my plans

My compressor is shot, I am purchasing all new parts and putting them on myself. Including new receiver/dryer, condensor, expansion valve, and hoses.... I still will come out ahead of the repair estimate at a local shop.

IF I can get this installed correctly, then all that's necessary is a flush and checking if it holds a vacuum? I can put in the retro fit kit for R134a.

Does this gameplan seem feasible?

Thanks peeps!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
A vacuum is a good way to check for leaks, and it's necessary whenever any component is exposted to outside air. So it serves 2 purposes. I'd highly recommend it. You wouldn't want to leak out your refrigerant because of a seal if you could've known in advance.

Tyson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts