Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've actually called around to a lot of places and they've all told me that they have to see the car in order to judge how much it was. Since it's not just a refill but a convertion, it's more than usual. The thing is, none of the shops I called could do it now since the winter is going to start. I'll get mine done asap next spring.

·
Registered
257 Posts
it's very cheap. do it yourself. there's kits available at pep boys or any perts store. it works too. my friend did it on his 93.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I actually tried the "do it yourself" setup I got from Pep Boys. I looked at the instructions, looked at the car, looked at the Haynes manual and decided not to do it. Actually, the setup itself did not scare me, just that a friend of mine who actually tried to refill his AC and didn't tighten the cap right or something, but the can bew up in his face. I'll wait till next summer and have a mechanic do it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
as long as you put the valve on all the way, you wont have that problem. its easy, i helped my friend do it on his 93. it took no time and a mechanic wanted buco bux. but suit yourself, if you dont mind buco bux or dont want to chance it fine. i think u should tho.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
R-12 (commonly referred to as Freon, a name DuPont owns) was the refrigerant of choice for auto A/C systems for many many years. Its production was banned sometime around 92 or 93 since the government thinks it's increasing the size of the hole in the ozone layer. (it's a CFC) The replacement for R-12 is R-134a, a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC). It's more environmentally friendly and has been phased into auto A/C systems since the early 90s. R-134a isn't as good of a refrigerant; it requires more compressor power to produce the same cooling effects as R-12.

Supply and demand has caused the price of R-12 to go up (since it's not produced anymore) to probably over $30/can now (I haven't had to buy any since 95), and you can't buy it without a license, which wasn't the case years ago. R-134a is relatively cheap, about $6/can at any auto parts store (or Wallyworld for that matter).

Tyson
95 LS (for sale, R-134a included)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts