Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear an awful groan from underneath the hood on Saturday when I flipped on the A/C. Started blowing HOT air and I took it to the nearest shop. Long story short:
Estimate = $1014
New Compressor (he said the broken one had blown out the back?)
New Drier
New Freon
Flush, etc.

My question, I have a hard time investing over a grand into a 2000 dollar ride (though I do love her). If I buy the parts myself, should I be looking to replace the condenser and expansion valve also. How bouts the old dried up piping? Anyone ever done this?

Also - I live in AZ. A/C is not an option!!!!

Thanks Guys, I appreciate any input!!

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I had the exact same problem, and it shouldn't cost you $1000. what happened to my a/c was the compressor clutch gave out and starting groaning, like you said. I paid about $600 with labor to replace the compressor, just to have the a/c stop working about a year and a half later.

I'm not sure about doing it yourself..... a/c requires special tools (especially for charging/discharging)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.carparts.com/parts/sampl...1&vehicleid=78282&catalogid=&partnum=NONE&dc=

There's pricing on the compressor and drier, I'd take it to a mechanic that will install parts you supply. As for the freon, R12 will cost you about $2-300 for a full fillup, dependent on how much per lb it is in your region.

Ask for a R134a conversion, I'm doing mine myself, and it doesn't take long once your system is in working order. R134a is the freon replacement, I bought a retrofit kit from Advance Auto, it was $29.99 which included all the R134a you will need. If it leaks a tiny bit, its not a big deal because its cheap ($5/pound, compared to R12, which is $60-100/lb) and its environmentally friendly, so you wont have the EPA breaking your kneecaps for using a bunch of it. Word is our cars work well with a R134a conversion since the compressor is fairly strong and will provide adequate cooling.

Good luck man, I'm trying to get mine to work too.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

I will let you know how things go after this weekend. I've seen that retrofit in Checker Auto, I'll try it out! thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The retrofit does work well on our cars, and I plan on doing it to mine very soon. Just make sure you have the system evacuated first!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts