Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a little update on my ongoing project. I have decided to go back to my old precision turbo. Some specs on this turbo are:

PTE GT3251B(engraved on the compressor housing)
Journal bearing
Hot side - .48 a/r
Cold side - .70 a/r

447534 (Etched on the backside of the CHRA)
JY1 1 (" " )
I can't find much more on this particular turbo. There is nothing on Precision's site that matches the numbers I have. Could be a discontinued turbo. Would be nice to find a compressor map for it.

Well here are some pictures of the prep work to put it on, gotta get the old one out:

Since the exhaust housing is small, there were some clearance issues with the bolts. I had to separate the center section and install the ex housing first.

Heres the tight spot

Another angle

I have a few more adjustments to make with the downpipe to make it fit correctly. Plus I have to get an oil restrictor to reduce oil pressure going into the turbo. The goal now is to get this turbo on and take it back to the dyno. Hopefully with this more matched turbo, FE3N intake cam, and working VICS, I will get some better results(not looking for more power) or at least 300hp under 25psi. I am afterall trying to prep this car for some autox action.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
small exhaust housing and good sized compressor wheel...gonna be a raper :tup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've got to install/remove my t3/t4 the same way... piece by piece.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got to install/remove my t3/t4 the same way... piece by piece.
The .63 a/r ex housing had enough room to just put it all in one piece. Gonna miss that for a while though. :(

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I expect mutch better results with my gutted FE3N intake manni.

By lundgren420000, shot with HP Photosmart E427 at 2008-05-03

The butterflies on mine were not removed though i just wired them open.

Shwine seriously cleaned his out though. Just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GT3251? It should be either a 67 or a 71. Did you buy a Chinacharger and not a genuine Garrett? The 67's come on Hino's and the 71's on Nissan and Volvo. Yes I'm talking about the 32's too. What map do you want?
Thats the thing, this turbo is a Precision Turbo. I got it from a miata guy before my FE3 rebuild was complete. And I have been trying to figure out what kind it is exactly. The owner didn't know much about it, and I have been trying to figure out what it is by the numbers that are engraved in it.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
GT3251? It should be either a 67 or a 71. Did you buy a Chinacharger and not a genuine Garrett? The 67's come on Hino's and the 71's on Nissan and Volvo. Yes I'm talking about the 32's too. What map do you want?
this is what i found, they indeed discontinued this turbo

Nope...definitely not. The GT3251 is basically a trimmed down 57 trim. It was meant, as TheShodan stated, for quick spool and midrange power. I had another variant of it, the GT3255b, which is a little more geared toward the top end, but still a tad smaller than the 57trim. With the power it made on my setup at 10.5psi, i would have only guessed it to be capable of 435-445whp.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'll get a picture up in a bit. The # was carved on the compressor housing by hand from an unknown source. Definitely not a chinacharger. :) I did find this about the CHRA:

Garrett GT32
Ive obtained a nearly identical pair of Turbos. One is a Garrett GT3267s and the other is a Perkins badged version of the same thing, although with slightly different sizes.
Here's the info i have on them (so far):

Garrett:Cust PN:14411 9X800, AS PN:706705-0001, CHRA PN:447534, sn FL00114AGT3267S Model GT3267s ,Compressor AR .48, Turbine AR .69, Compressor wheel Minor 48.25mm (1.90')- Major 67mm (2.63')- [52 Trim] - Turbine Outlet 2.19 / 55.5mm

Perkins: Model 2674a343,Compressor AR ???, Turbine AR .75, Compressor wheel Minor 49.25mm (1.92')- Major 71mm (2.79')- [48 Trim] - Turbine Outlet 2.29 / 58mm (Actually a Garrett GT3271)
From this site:

Chevy Twin Turbo Project - Reading Compressor Maps and Selecting a turbo

The Number on my CHRA matches the Garrett above, but mine is a Precision Badged turbo.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Damian, here are some pics. And after polishing around the numbers I found that the last figure is a "B" and not a "6" like I thought it was. It is a Precision Turbo GT 3251B and I found some info on it.

GT 3251B

JY1 1

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
More info,

According to posts on DSMtalk from back in the day(2003-05) the PTE GT3251 is a tad smaller and more efficient than the T04E 50 trim. gt3251's compressor wheel is 2.0" at the inducer and 2.80" at the exducer. Its max flow is around 42 lb/min around 28 psi -/+ which would put it around the 420hp range of power it could make.

According to Precision Turbo and Engine web site they did engrave the turbo ID onto the compressor housing. So mine would stand for:

32 is the compressor wheel in MM
51 is the turbine wheel in MM
B is the TO4B compressor cover

And according to this...

DSMtalk said:
Does the gt3251 not use the 73trim gt32 turbine wheel? Does it not use the 52 trim gt compressor wheel with a "51"mm inducer and 71mm exducer? If you look here at pte's website under the gt technology section you will see that it does.

You will also see the 52 trim gt compressor wheel with a "55"mm inducer and 76mm exducer that is used in the gt3255. You can also see that these are the same 2 compressor wheels used in pte's gt35 series.

The compressor map link i posted to garretts catalog on page 27 is for the 73 trim gt32 turbine wheel, with the 52 trim gt compressor wheel that has a a 71mm exducer, which by the way also has a "51"mm inducer. This is the gt3251. How did you miss the big white letters that say gt32 in the catalog? These are the same specs that are listed on pte's website.
...this is the compressor map for my turbo:

Now, to plot points on this map for my FE3. :)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the down pipe modified for this turbo. A little cutting and tweaking was needed to get it at the right angle. Spool up is quicker as expected and it feels better than before.

Now I need to have it tuned again with this turbo. But I am upgrading the e-prom chip in my TECII unit so it will use a windows based software vs the old DOS interface set-up. So I'll be seeing some more dyno time sometime after I upgrade this tid bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts