Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my mx-6 gt about 8 months ago and currently has about 221,xxx km's on it and runs nice and clean. However recently I've noticed a variety of noises that i am pretty concerned about. Now i realize old cars make noise but some of these seem quite un-natural. The first noise came with the car and it comes from my right front ONLY when I brake. It's like a clicking griding sort of sound... I noticed in the records history of this car that it had gone thru one wheel bearing already, and right as I bought the car that was one of the first things I replaced along with the hub. with both of those replaced I still get the same noise. ????WTF? mechanic said that entire corner is good to go but somehow I don't believe him as sometimes its really freakin' loud and other times i can barely hear it. Now coming from my front left, only when I turn left or right, is this horrible crunching noise that can only be described as similar to bones crunching. It's very loud and I fear my wheel might fall off any second. Ok realistically I know that won't happen but still any thoughts on what might be causing that noise?
The last one that really freaked me out just sort of came and went this morning at about 7 AM (very cold, close to 0 this morning). It was this crazy loud ticking noise and I think it was coming from the timing belt area (tensioner?). Once the engine got up to temperature it went away but it still left me sitting there asking....wtf?
So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be awesome. thanx for your time.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Once the engine got up to temperature it went away but it still left me sitting there asking....wtf?
So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be awesome. thanx for your time.
-It could be a tensioner but i would bet my money on it being an HLA. When oil pressure gets up to normal and so does the temperature that noise is known to go away.

"The first noise came with the car and it comes from my right front ONLY when I brake. It's like a clicking griding sort of sound..."

-If its only when you brake is there any chance the caliper could be frozen or sticking? How new are the brakes?

"Now coming from my front left, only when I turn left or right, is this horrible crunching noise that can only be described as similar to bones crunching. It's very loud and I fear my wheel might fall off any second."

-Not sure if it would make a crunching noise, but how are your cv joints and axles? Have they ever been replaced by any chance?

Have you shook down your front end also to see if anything is loose? Grab the wheel at 6 and 12 (ball joint/wheel bearing) and shake it. Then also grab the wheel at 9 and 3 (inner and outer tie rod) and shake it (obviously jacked up in the air).

Im just trying to brainstorm some ideas and im sure other members will chime in with their thoughts here very shortly.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
2nd noise - It is getting cold now and you are up north. I think it is your HLA's not getting oil on start up due to the oil being thick because it is cold. Time for an oil change. 10W/30 with about 16 oz of Marvalous Mystery Oil. You could also use more MM oil and then do a change in about 100 miles. This should help stop the noise or atleast shorten the time it takes for the HLA's to get oil. Do a search on HLA.

As long as the noise stops in less than a minute after the above is done I would not worry about it. If it happens when engine is hot might need to replace them or clean.

First noise is most likely a cv joint. However if the bearing went bad for a while it could damage the hub. Damage to the hub is when the bearing wobbles around the hub when it was bad which changes the geometry of the hub causing the new bearing to wobble also. Try pulling the tire at 12/6 oclock and 3/9 very hard. See if there is movement. A decent mechanic should be able to tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts