Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've got a couple of questions regarding the 1st gen-

1) The oxygen sensor wire snapped off where the wire joins the sensor, can I just solder or tape it back on for now? Or do I need a whole new o2 sensor, I'm getting over 400kms to the tank so it doesnt seem like it needs replacing yet...

2) What happens if i run the car with this wire disconnected?

3) The exhaust manifold nuts keep loosening themselves about once a month, its only the nuts on the right hand side of the manifold though. Why does this happen and how can I stop it?

4) Who wants to buy an 89 Mx6 Turbo 4WS? :sigh:

Karma to anyone who can help...

·
Registered
541 Posts
1) yes. just keep it neat to avoid adding too much resistance to the joint.
2) closed loop = using heaps of fuel
3) Lock tite! Its caused by vibrating and rust 'lubricating' the surfaces to the bolt can work loose
4) I'll give ya 50 bucks if you pay for delivery to wa!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heaps man, I cant give you karma tho says I need to spread it around first :(

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
All good points by Rolli...

I would probably consider gettings new nuts, cleaning the crap out of the studs and then putting locktite on the new nuts. Have you blown the gasket yet?

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
1,2)yes without that wire connected you can expect to half the kilometres you are getting on the tank. when i first got mine i realised that the sensor wasnt connected, hence crap fuel usage. it will make a huge pile of ash on your muffler tip, so that ash is also going to be making your sensor filthy as long as its not attached and running rich. solder it if you have to, certainly dont tape it :p you want the best join you can make.

3)as for the manifold check none of the threads have been stripped. i have one that falls out all the time grrr

4) i like my shiny one atm :D

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
rolli said:
1) yes. just keep it neat to avoid adding too much resistance to
also, sabbai did this the other day, and the heat from the turbo melted the solder, and it just dripped straight down.

it stayed connected, but theres no solder left on it.

mx-sik said:
Thanks heaps man, I cant give you karma tho says I need to spread it around first
just give it to me then :D
and ill pass it on to rolli :p

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys :) Well for the past 3 or so days ive used electrical tape (yes electrical tape) to hold the wire on the sensor, im surprised that it stayed on for so long. Bought a new NTK sensor for $77 which isnt too bad, Supershit Auto wanted $117 for the same product.....needless to say I got my deposit back on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts