Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what up guys?, um gonna start collecting turbo parts at the end of may but i have a few questions thats been on my mind and i need help and opinions answering them. the car is gonna be my daily driver but i only plan on boosting at 5-6 psi. as of now i only want between 250-275 bhp, not even concerned about at the wheels cause i just want the car a little more powerful than what it is. i had plans of 300+ but thats all out the window as of now...if i decide to turn the boost up than um parking the car and rebuilding the engine and putting gtx 3rd and 5th gears in the tranny and yes i'll have a tempo dd so don't worry!:tup:

ok on to the questions...

question#1. i know alot of you guys who are boosted are using t3/t4's while some are using just t3's but i was wondering would a ihi 1g turbo be to small for the 2g mx6? i also had in mind to use either a td04 or td05 turbo, i think these are sti turbo's right? i know nothing is impossible but would fitting one of these be an issue? i've also searched craigslist and found that someone is selling a t3 super 60 for 200 bucks...i have to research that more because i wanna do minimum fabrication work if i have to. the only fabrication work that i will be doing is the intake piping...thats all. i'll be using the turbo pipes from ebay so i don't wanna fab a downpipe if i don't have to i'd rather get a turbo that will bolt right up.

question#2. if i can't find a suittable turbo for my needs is it alrite if i use a ebay turbo?...not ebay turbo kit...ebay turbo. meaning just the turbo until either i upgrade or until it blows. this will be the only thing i cheap out on besides the pipes. my wastegate is either gonna be a tial,turbonetics,or synapse...i'll probably go with a tial being that its a little cheaper and more popular and i won't be getting it from ebay...period...!

question#3. for my fueling, i already have a walbro 255 fuel pump which i've had for awhile...this was the very first thing i bout for turboing the six. i've had it for over a year and its still in the box. i'll also be using milli s injectors as well...keeping a good eye out for those right know. i wanted to know if its ok if i can use a vortech or blox fmu for a little until i can afford megasquirt? and i will be going megaquirt. also can the fmu be used with an adjustable fpr?

question#4. fuck turbo and juice the fucker lol!

it won't be intercooled cause i want the car as a sleeper but plan on adding water/meth as backup...tell me if this is a bad idea and i'll get an intercooler. if i do get a intercooler i won't have to get a bov because i already have a mitsu 2g dsm bov, this was the second thing i bout while i was thinking of turboing the six. and yes i'm on a budget but a well minded and thought out budget. i see no problem spending a minimum of 1500-2000 on parts just so i can get the car up and running on boost for awhile until i upgrade some parts that need to be upgraded.

i've already done plenty of research and i know what i'm getting my self into, i just think its time to step it up a little...also will be getting a wideband to keep an eye on things. i have a oil psi gauge but its electrical...will be upgraded to mechanical full sweep as well as extra insurance.

and does anyone know where i can buy a good book to read about turbocharging? theres one alot of you keep mentioning but i keep forgetting the name of it...heard it was an awesome book. might even read it first before i start buying anything!:tup:...is there anything else i'm forgetting?

also radar if you ever read this...will be making a trip up to hollywood for some dyno time after i convert to turbo. can you pm me what you normally charge for some dyno time...thanks!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
1)1st gen turbo is way too small. Super 60 is a great turbo and good for the six, but its also probably the smallest turbo I would use. don't bother with a td04. A tdo5/06 would be ok. They're mitsu turbos.

2) don't buy an ebay turbo. Although I'm one of the few on the forum who firmly believes this.

3) an fmu is fine with your injectors at low boost. Eventually you'll want to move on to a standalone though.

4) Intercool the car. You'll be sorry if you don't. If you want a stealth install you can always go with a water to air or a flat black colored intercooler

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks mm25!

if i don't get that super 60 than i'll be going with a td05 turbo than and a water to air intercooler sounds good.
any other opinions from anyone else who's boosted?

edit: ok so i found a great site for the water to air setup...heres what i was thinking about using. let me know if its to small, they have others as well i may have to go a little bit bigger tho but i don't wanna go that big. heres a link:

Small Liquid/Air Intercooler

i was also on ebay and i found a good deal on a turbonetics t3/t4 turbo that some one was selling that was only used for 900 miles and had it rebuilt. its a 52trim. so good things happen when you search for it lol!:tup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts