Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 LS with the stock cd stereo system in it. I want to spend around 500 dollars to get a good sounding stereo system.

To begin with I want to get a cd mp3 player, and I've heard good things about the JVC KD SH-99 (versus the aiwa's or kenwoods). They go for around 300 dollars.

As for speakers, Crutchfield reccomended the Pioneer 3 way TSA 6865's for the front (6x8) and the 2way 6855's (6x8) for the back. Does anyone know anything about these? I haven't heard them yet. Should I be looking into different speaker sizes? I'm cool with using an adapter for a different size speaker, but I don't want to do any cutting or anything like that.

Does this sound like a decent setup for a start? In the future I would probably add a amp and sub, but for now I just want something that will have some pretty good bass and better sound than stock, plus mp3 abilities.

I do have one big question though - with such a setup, what other things will I need to look into purchasing if I do this myself? Crutchfield said I only need plug adapters for my speakers and a wiring harness (made for the mx6) for the head unit. Is that all?

Should I expect good sound with such a setup or is this going to be a letdown without having amp/sub? My alternative is probably to find used components and get a sub/amp.

Please, any advice or opinions would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
So far, so good

I think that what you have decided on so far is pretty good. Crutchfield is right in what they told you--I bought all my components from Crutchfield and the installation for the CD player and the speakers was a piece of cake!! They provide you with the wiring harnesses so that you don't have to splice into your factory wiring--very convenient. The speakers that you've chosen are good choices--and the correct size btw. I personally went with Kenwood eXcelons in the rear and then 3-way Kenwoods in the doors, but that was a year ago and they don't even carry those particular models anymore.

Here's what I think:
The speakers that you've chosen have an RMS power rating of 2-50 watts. That means that they will sound pretty good with just they CD player powering them--although not quite as good as the could. They'll produce their best sound when you can afford to get a good amp to power them. Um...to be honest, the sound system is not going to sound amazing...but it will be MUCH better than the factory stereo system--its definately worth replacing the factory system. When you can eventually put an amp in to power the speakers, then you'll be blown away by the difference that it makes. Try to get a good amp soon--believe me, you won't regret it. Also, as far as subwoofers go, unless you want EXTREME bass reproduction, I'd get a 4-channel amp to power the speakers before I'd get a subwoofer. You'd be suprised at the bass output from the 6x8 speakers with an amp powering them. Look for an amp that delivers around 50watt x 4--that way you'll get the maximun out of your speakers. After you've done this, then look into getting a subwoofer. Oh yeah...one more thing. I'd suggest making sure that the CD/MP3 player that you're planning to buy has atleast 2 sets of pre-amp outputs. That makes installing external amps much easier and sends signals much clearer than speaker-level inputs do. Good luck with your stereo system project!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you have chosen a fairly good start. Using Cruthcfield is a good idea for beginners. I would suggest the infinity kappa's or the polks over the pioneers and as for the head unit I would go with the Kenwood or the Clarion since you want mp3 over the JVC that is just my .02 Hey but for what you are trying to do this is a great begining. })

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I also think you are off to a good start. Everyone should invest in good speakers first! You will never regret good speakers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, few more Q's...

Thanks for the good replies guys.

I have a few more questions now...

I really don't plan on purchasing a stereo from Crutchfield because they're quite expensive, in fact the stereo that I want costs 290-300 on the internet but over 400 from Crutchfield. But Crutchfield comes with the wiring harnesses for my mazda and also Speaker plug adapters. Can I get the wiring harness somewhere else, and save money by just buying the speakers at a regular internet site? Where would I get the harness? Also, what would I need to use say... the Polk speakers that one of the posters suggested? I've heard the Polk DX6 speakers are really good (and within my price range). What do you think about me getting those instead? (and is it best to get the same speakers all around or maybe stick with the pioneers in the rear?) Any special mods I would need?

And one more question... if I install the stereo and get a amp a few months later, is it difficult to simply upgrade the stereo by putting in an amp or is it best to just do it all at once?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm pretty technically inclined but I've just never worked with car stereos. Ok ok one last question, is there a good place to find out the basics of putting in a car stereo?

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh okay one last last question

Ok I just had a temporary fix for my stereo problems (my problem, my speakers are blown).

If I just replaced all my speakers with some pretty decent 6x8's, say the pioneer tsa 6865's in front and 6855's in back, would it sound significantly better than the stock stereo did? I mean, keeping the stock head unit and all. This would be a temporary solution i think, but I really need some decent sound but I'm short on cash now. Would the stock head unit be able to power these speakers ok? Does anyone know how much power it puts out?

Thanks again (last time i promise!)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
2Rusty said:
I also think you are off to a good start. Everyone should invest in good speakers first! You will never regret good speakers.
Pardon me for quoting myself...

Yes, get the best speakers you can find. Ultimately your music will never sound good unless you have good speakers.

I would say buy an amp second because good amp and good speakers will sound good with factory head unit. You want MP3 so then it is a toss up between MP3 ability or more power.

Oh, Amps are easy to add later. I would have a pro do it the first time though. You can usually pick up wiring harnesses at circuit city or best buy or specialty car audio shop. These places are coincidentaly good places to check out speakers first hand and decide what brands sound good. I might suggest getting same brand front & rear but it shouldn't make huge difference.

·
Registered
321 Posts
well silver you can get the wiring harness from circuit city or best buy or any place like that. I really think you should not worry about the mp3 player for now. If you really are into total reproduction of your music then mp3 is not the answer. Mp3 is a compressed file so you can cram more music in less space. So sq is scarificed a bit. for now you may not notice but as you build your system you will. if you later want mp3 just get a mp3 changer. good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Superman, you are right about the MP3 compression and loss of quality, however, I doubt silver will only be playing MP3s. You can play regular CD's on an MP3 player so having MP3 capability is just a bonus. He should just figure out which is more important at the moment... playing those Napster recordings or having an amp.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok you convinced me...

Ok I think you guys convinced me. I want an amp. I think I want to get some pretty decent speakers and a head unit/amp (maybe used). The real reason I like mp3's is because I've found a lot of bootleg live music, and I suppose I can actually convert those to wave and burn them on a regular cd. it's not the compression part that I like so much, it's just the music available.

So I guess the next part is figuring out what kind of amp/speakers I need. Any reccomendations on what size speakers I should get for the front/back and what power amp I'll need? I want some good bass, but I think I'll hold off on a sub for now. I've heard the best way to do it is use my head unit to power the rear speakers and use the amp for the front (and sub when I get it). Is that a good way to go?

·
Registered
321 Posts
yes very wise decission. as for speakers you can get 6x8's all around to make things simple. I am not sure what kinda buget you are on but the brands I recommend that are not very expensive: Polk, Infinity, JL, Kenwood those are not to expensive and they have really good sound for the money. or you can jump into components for a little more money. those brands would be Infinity, MB Quart, JL, Boston Acoustics. And for amps I would suggest a four channel may be alpine, mtx, kenwood, and rockford those won't be price to bad. well I hope this helps. if you have any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
putting to gether a car stereo system

1: Find your self a good cd tuner and make shure it have all funktions you will need in the future,eks cd changer control,2 or preferable 3 linout`s,and controls for signalprossessors if you wish to add some later if you download music from the net mp3 capabillitys can be nice to

2: find some good front speakers they should be able to play 80hz and up without sounding sharp even with an amp at high levels

3: get 1 12" or 2 10" subs of a brand who can offer you all nessecary parameters you need to build a correct box
and of course an 4 channel amp with both high and low pass filters

4: if you want to expand your system further you can now get
a couple of mid bass speakers and a second amp with lowpass and highpass filters if you wanna get more power to your subs you buy a large 2 channel amp for the subs and reuse the 4 channel to power the midbass and the front speakers

of course you can expand you sytem even further but now you must decide if you want more power or more functions like cd changer or signal prossessors just remember huge speakers up rear are a waste of money at these point. if you want speakers in the rear shelf use some speakers with good midrange and connect them to your HU`s rear amp with a couple of capasitors to spare them from bass reproduction
anouther issue are wiring.All wires connected to the batterys must have proper fusing and have the right area to avoid the voltage to drop.Also pay attension to ground points and routing
keep your power wires avai from harnesses,speakerwires and signalcables, antenna cables

this is just a suggestion not a must do list

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Superman 39 said:
I I would suggest the infinity kappa's })
i have 4 used if you want em but you gotta get a nice deck to achieve what these bad boys can really do....stay away from a jvc deck

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Regarding speaker selection - it's best to listen to the speakers in a store before buying them. Granted, the store setup may not be best suited for that particular speaker, but in general you will have a good idea of how they sound. And in the end, hearing music is a very subjective thing - some people may like certain speakers, and others may not. Pick what YOU like to hear.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
schwinn said:
And in the end, hearing music is a very subjective thing - some people may like certain speakers, and others may not. Pick what YOU like to hear.
exactly...and to put the cherry on top, for what kind of music you like and listen to the most...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
FE3T said:
1: Find your self a good cd tuner and make shure it have all funktions you will need in the future,eks cd changer control,2 or preferable 3 linout`s,and controls for signalprossessors if you wish to add some later if you download music from the net mp3 capabillitys can be nice to

2: find some good front speakers they should be able to play 80hz and up without sounding sharp even with an amp at high levels

3: get 1 12" or 2 10" subs of a brand who can offer you all nessecary parameters you need to build a correct box
and of course an 4 channel amp with both high and low pass filters

4: if you want to expand your system further you can now get
a couple of mid bass speakers and a second amp with lowpass and highpass filters if you wanna get more power to your subs you buy a large 2 channel amp for the subs and reuse the 4 channel to power the midbass and the front speakers

of course you can expand you sytem even further but now you must decide if you want more power or more functions like cd changer or signal prossessors just remember huge speakers up rear are a waste of money at these point. if you want speakers in the rear shelf use some speakers with good midrange and connect them to your HU`s rear amp with a couple of capasitors to spare them from bass reproduction
anouther issue are wiring.All wires connected to the batterys must have proper fusing and have the right area to avoid the voltage to drop.Also pay attension to ground points and routing
keep your power wires avai from harnesses,speakerwires and signalcables, antenna cables

this is just a suggestion not a must do list
i agree with the above.. i provided links for someone else of some pretty decent equipment,, here is the link http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97994

·
Registered
376 Posts
tripharn said:
Holy crap, did someone just resurrect a 3 year old post to add an opinion?
lol...where u really that bored today jo????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts