Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much props to the one that gets this right. What is the clearance for the main bearing caps on a stock 93 MX6? And what is the clearance on the conecting rod caps on the crankshaft? What do you use to check these clearences? And what is the stock timing set on the same year MX6 (how many degrees before TDC or after TDC)? 100,000 points to whoever gets this right.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Woodnutz said:
Much props to the one that gets this right. What is the clearance for the main bearing caps on a stock 93 MX6? And what is the clearance on the conecting rod caps on the crankshaft? What do you use to check these clearences? And what is the stock timing set on the same year MX6 (how many degrees before TDC or after TDC)? 100,000 points to whoever gets this right.
Okay, as for the main bearings, there aren't individual main caps per se. Rather, there's a lower-block assembly that gets bolted to the upper block. This lower block holds the 4 main bearing saddles all in one piece. Still, the oil clearance for the main bearing journals is 0.0015-0.0022in (0.037-0.057mm) with a maximum allowed of 0.0025in (0.064mm). The crankshaft should have end play between 0.0032-0.0111in (0.080-0.282mm) with a max of 0.0125in (0.320mm).

Connecting rods should have an oil clearance of 0.0010-0.0016in (0.023-0.043mm) with a max of 0.0032in (0.080mm). Connecting rod side play should be 0.0071-0.0129in (0.178-0.330mm), with a max of 0.0157in (0.40mm)

As for what to use, I'd use Plastigage to check bearing clearances and micrometers to check for taper or out of round. Use a dial guage to check end play and side clearances.

IIRC, stock spark timing on a V6 is 10-degrees BTDC with the TEN pin grounded and idling at 650RPM with no electrical loads active.

[Edited by Mike 94PGT on 02-19-2001 at 06:03 PM]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Word. There was a little bet going on about who would answer this. My friend said only about 2 could and you woudl be the first. Right on man. I enjoy seeing my fellow ASE certified friends sharing their knowledge.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
hello...

ASE???
What is that?
Where can I learn all those little obscure things?
Thanks.
Claeren.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: hello...

Claeren said:
ASE???
What is that?
Where can I learn all those little obscure things?
Thanks.
Claeren.
I believe ASE stands for "Automotive Service Excellence". One is granted the "ASE certification" after having passed an exam about auto repair etc.

I don't have ASE; I'm not even a mechanic. I design medical electronics for a living :D

I'm more geek than gearhead though I did once, many years ago, excel in every automotive class my high school had to offer with the intention of becoming a tech. Acceptance to engineering school vastly altered the course I followed though...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i am not AES at all my best friend is, woodnutz on here. he helps me with out with everything on my ride. he know just about everything, he is a wrenchhead. i told him the other day in computer class that only Mike or one other person would know. then Mike got the anwser up. later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts