Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, went to check out the price for a 3 inch system for my baby, and found a really big differnce in price for the same thing........
3 inch stainless steel from turbo to cat, into a high flow three inch cat and then just mild steel after that, and a muffler that i already have so that is not included in the price. all mandrel of course

rang three places

1. $1160.00

2. $945.00

3. $800.00

i couldn,t believe it i double check with the guy that said 800 and said yeah thats right, he even had done a few 6ers b4, so i might go have a chat the two cheaper prices over the next week to check out how experienced the people are..............

just thought i would let every one know it pays to ring around.

what sort of prices have other poeple paid??

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well its prob just the difference in labour charges, cause the parts usually cost the same. IMO though you usually get what you pay for, but occasionally you find a good, cheap mechanic that will do a good job for a cheaper price, but most of the time if they are cheaper then there's a reason for it, so be careful. Also if someone's charging over $1000 then they are prob talking about all stainless, if you pay over $1000 and you're getting mild steel from the cat back then you're getting ripped off.

My 2 cents.

PS. Keep us updated if you decide to go through with it, whether its any good etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i booked my baby in todayfor wednesday next week, my 3inch mandrel system is going in!!!! :D i went with the cheapest qoute. actually went and spoke to the guy, he has had a lot of experiences with turbo cars, so all should be good.......... i will let you all know how she goes.

Later

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
if u have the time to wait there while they install it, it would be good...so u can check they are installing what u payed for...ive heard a myriad of stories where people get smaller exhausts and CAT's and ****ty bends etc

luckily i knew the guys that done my exhaust ;)

goodluck and expect the psi to raise a couple as mine did just with a cat-back hehe

happy boosting :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
sounds good Maz22T, you'll be wrapped in the performance increase esp at higher boost pressures...

just a word of warning, some places that offer "High Flow 3inch Cat's" actually sell you 2.5inch cats with flared out flanges that go to 3inches... just make sure his not doing that...

basically when i got mine done it was something like this...

$300 dump pipe
$150 flex joint
$250 hi flow cat
$160 stainless muff
$200 in labour and misc bs

so yeah anywhere from 900 - 1100 is average, 800 seems like a good price provided they do the work well.. which usually doesnt even happen for me with premium prices :mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
$250 for hi-flow cat and $160 for straight-through stainless muffler, god damn that's cheap, I remember I got quoted $400 for a hi-flow cat from a mechanic whos a good mate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When i did my exhaust, i got hi-flow cat for $175 (2.5"inlet and outlet) and got stainless steel mufler for $100 (2.5" inlet with 4" tip).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHE'S IN!!!! got the 3 inch system in to day, the car pulls so much harder now, you are at the red line before you know it,
i was runinng 15psi before and once it was done it spike up to 17psi i was like S##T i better turn it down a bit.......... so it is now holding 15 all the way through. :D with a high flow turbo a CAI, she is like a little red rocket lol.....

I got a few pics, but i cant work out how to insert them????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts