Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an '89 MX6 with over 330k hard miles on her, so I expect things to go wrong and have problems, but I need some help figuring out what that problem actually is!

It's got a stage 2 clutch, so bear that in mind, but every-once-in-awhile, it does a pretty scary thing. When I push in the clutch and engage into first gear (ONLY first. Clutch in with neutral and any other gear is just fine), the rpms are fine, but the car starts to jump like starting it up with busted engine mounts.

Shakes the whole damn thing, it's inconsistent, not related to temperature/hills, plenty of fluid in the tranny, as far as I'm concerned my mounts are still troopers, etc. Feels like it's gonna die if I don't get outta first.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I'd post a video, but given it's lack of consistency it's hard to catch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add: This is only when the car is at a stop. Actually moving in 1st gear is perfectly fine, and there's no slippage.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Not quite sure I completely understand your description of the symptom of "jumps like starting it up with busted motor mounts". But if the clutch is pushed in, and it starts jumping as you try to put it into first gear, check for clutch slave bleeding down and engaging clutch before pedal is released, and the possibility of the pilot bearing starting to seize on the input shaft. Pilot bearing problem would be accompanied by a rumbling noise and difficulty engaging any gear with engine running even with clutch fully depressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts