Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

I was punching out some numbers as to what to expect from my planned mods. Ive got it figured as following:

stock hp 1994 MX-6 LS V6 165hp-132 whp

Ractive cold air intake-3whp
Ractive Cat-back exhaust-8whp
Cams-10whp
headers-10whp
KLZE intake mani-8whp
high-flow cat-2whp

for a total of 173whp, sound about right?
If so i figure I'll be paying around $95 can for every whp ive gained, pricey :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
You might get less or move gains. It really depends. Sadly modding a car isn't cheap.

I'd look into a different exhaust then Ractive though. The quality isn't good and they tend to be high pitched and don't sound good.
Looking into either the system by Borla or get a custom exhaust done with a Magnaflow muffler, both will sound deep and you won't get any high pitches.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
ur hp guesses are about right...... good luck with the mods

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
8whp from just a catback....don't count on it. Which cams are you gonna go with?

Another very good mod IMO is the 65mm throttle body. That is my favorite follwed only by the ZE IM. Not so much for the extra HP, but more for the torque!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd look into a different exhaust then Ractive though
Id like to however Im on a pretty small budget for what id like to achieve, i have a feeling im gonna end up having to get a silencer put in when i get it. Ive never heard it, but for $350 canadian you cant go wrong.

Which cams are you gonna go with?
Im still not sure, i was debating ZE cams, but ive heard alot about some guy around this board and probetalk that makes a good set, whatever ends up working out better for me financially/availabilty wise.

8whp from just a catback....don't count on it.
On a stock engine you are correct, but in conjunction with all the other breathing mods I think it will give me a decent boost, I guess i will have to find it all out the fun way:D

Another very good mod IMO is the 65mm throttle body.
Havent seen any actually, i know a few places that could do it, i just never really thought about it though.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
For the bored tb, check out the BB forum on probetalk. They guys name is Greg. I used to live down the street from him.

I still don't think there is that much to gain in terms of a catback, even with other breathing mods...at least not on this engine, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i'd guess more around 150 or 160 whp, ifyour compression is still good. remember, all of those mods are not going to give you a gain at the exact spot, and not all at your peak. so it doesn't have the effect that you are thinking it will

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can't say this CAI give this much and this exhaust give that much and add it up to a gain of X-HP. Mods don't add up like that although they do complement each other.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Spada...what the hell are you doing on MX6.com? :E

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vtecthis: Areyou in the Greater Toronto Area? I can get you a better quailty custom exhuast for about $50 bux more then the Ractive. It'll sound sweet too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can't say this CAI give this much and this exhaust give that much and add it up to a gain of X-HP.
Your right, I realize this, im just trying to get an idea of what to expect for my cash, the dyno will prove the hp in the end:D

Vtecthis: Areyou in the Greater Toronto Area? I can get you a better quailty custom exhuast for about $50 bux more then the Ractive. It'll sound sweet too.
What kind of system would it be? I am looking for 2.25-2.5 inch mandrel bent Stainless Steel and Im looking for a sound with alot of tone, no bee's/farting! (preferably not loud when commuting to and from work, a removale silencer would be a nice plus) :cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
A MX-3 flywheel is a good mod too. It doesn't add hp, but the engine wraps up faster. I have a 2nd gen LS, and a friend of mine with a lightly modded 1st gen GT says my car revs faster than his even with the turbo. All I have done other than the flywheel is intake. It doesn't improve hp, but the car gets off the line faster, and accelerated quicker, and that in conjunction with the ACT clutch I got makes the car feel like its got a lot more guts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A MX-3 flywheel is a good mod too.
Did you lose any of the drivability from adding the flywheel? Im very nterested in getting one, but i drive quite a bit (350kms a week) and i dont wanna get pissed of every time i let off the gas.
What about the exhaust?:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vtecthis said:
What kind of system would it be? I am looking for 2.25-2.5 inch mandrel bent Stainless Steel and Im looking for a sound with alot of tone, no bee's/farting! (preferably not loud when commuting to and from work, a removale silencer would be a nice plus) :cool:
2.5 Inch mandrel bent Stainless with a resonator and a Magnaflow muffler. Sound good?

Interested...shoot me an e-mail or pm.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
you can stall the car out if you aren't paying attention with the mx-3 flywheel and your lights can dim at idle, but it is not any pain in the you know what, still good driveability. i also added an underdrive pulley which helps the rpms rise better than stock. I would say that you can get about 25 hp from all these mods together. and yes, a cat-back doesn't give you much, nowhere near 8hp. i would guess more like 3 or 4. put a nice muffler in instead for like $100 (parts and labor)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sounds like a good plan of attack as far as the mods go, but i think your guesstiamte is a little high...StreetThisMX6 has the fastest all motor KL03 around and here is the list of his mods...

Performace Mods

- Hotshot Cold Air Intake w/ Elbow
- 65mm Throttle Body
- STT Ported/Polished/Knife-Edged ZE Intake Manifold
- Port Matched ZE Phenolic Spacers
- ZE Cams (Intake and Exhaust)
- Pacesetter Headers w/ No EGR
- Jeff Jeske 2.5” Testpipe
- 2.5” Crush Bent Exhaust Piping (No Resonators)
- Magnaflow Race Series Muffler w/ 2.25” Inlet and 4” Single Tip
- UR Under Drive Pulley
- Fidanza 9lb Flywheel
- SPEC Stage 3 – 6 Puck Ceramic Racing Clutch
- RR-Racing Polyurethane Front Motor Mount Insert
- STT Rear Polyurethane Motor Mount
- Sparkco 9mm Race Spark Plug Wires
- NGK V-Groove Spark Plugs Gapped @ .045”
- Finish Line Tuning ZE VRIS Point Chip
- Corksport Stainless Steel Clutch Line

Suspension & Rims/Tires

- Spring Lowering Springs (2.5” Front/1.8” Rear)
- KYB GR2 Struts
- KYB Strut Mounts
- Front/Rear Strut Tower Bars
- STT B-Pillar Bar Strut Brace
- 1” H & R Hubcentric Wheel Spacers
- WELD 15 x 8 Lightweight Racing Rims (Front & Race Only)
- 22 x 8 x 15 Mickey Thompson ET Slicks @ 10 psi
- Dunlop 205/55/15 Tires @ 53 psi (Rear)
- Stock 15 x 6.5” MX6 Rims (Gunmetal w/ Polished Lip)

Interior Mods

- B & M Short Throw Shifter
- Sparco Black Leather Shift Knob
- Lowtek 3 Pod Gauge Pillar
- Autometer Phantom Series 2-1/16” Oil Pressure Gauge
- Autometer Phantom Series 2-1/16” Water Temp Gauge
- Autometer Phantom Series 2-1/16” Air/Fuel Gauge
- Autometer Phantom Series 2-1/16” Voltage Meter Gauge
- MSD Shift Light
- 6 Color Indiglow Gauges
- 6 x 8 Pioneer 3-Way Speakers (Front)
- Summit Racing Battery Relocation Kit

Exterior & Lighting Mods

- Front/Rear ProCarParts.com Clear Sidemarkers
- M-Edition Taillights
- Matrix 80/100 Watt 9004 Hyper White Headlight Bulbs
- Matrix Hyper White Bulbs

He is only getting 185.1 whp - 169.1 wft/lbs (213 hp – 194 ft/lbs @ the crank)

For more info see this thread http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74697

Hope this helps

-Bryce

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
just to add about StreetThis....he has a factory freak :D

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
streetthismx6's car runs 13.5s with weigh reductions. :tup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts