Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving in heavy traffic today (but mind you it is only about 13C in Melbourne), and suddenly noticed that the temp gauge has went passed where it normally sits and it has never happened before. So I turned on the A/C to use it's fan to cool down the radiator, and it worked, temp gauge goes back down. So I suspected it is the cooling fan. So I went home, let the car idle for a while and the temp gauge went past normal point again, and the radiator fan did not turn on at all.

Do you guys think it's just the fan that died, or more complicated such as wiring?
And how to you check if it is the fan or not?
Could it be a thermo-sensor or something?

please help.
Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
396 Posts
i think they have a thermo sensor ( for the gauge) and a thermo switch ( for the fan). from memory (I'm sure they'll tell me if I wrong) the thermo switch is down the bottom of your radiator somewhere with some wires attached to it. it should be a cheap fix. never tried it on the mazda but the fan on the bluebird would switch on when unplugged so that was a very cheap fix for me...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There seems to be 2 sensor plugs from fan to thermostat housing, a yellow round-ish one right at the top and a black one near bottom facing radiator (which looks like the one that actually connects to the thermo switch).
So I turned the ignition to 'on', and unplugged the black one, the fan did not turn on. And when I continuously connect and disconnect the black switch, there is a ticking sound coming from a 'fuse box' mount on the passenger side firewall, it has the blue plug and named cooling fan. IS that the relay?
Does this mean the relay is faulty?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Leave the A/C off. Start the car up and let it idle and go through the motions. If the thermo doesn't kick in when you are above half way then it's probably the switch.
I replaced mine a while back, $70 I think the part ended up costing me and it was the wrong bloody one! Even though it was for my 626. So I frankensteined them up and it works fine.

Its on top of your thermostat housing from memory. With wires running to your thermo fans. If you can't get around to fixing it, find the plug, cut the wires and earth it out. This means your thermos will run whenever the car is running. Its crude, but it will stop your car from overheating until you can sort it out.

Thats if its not the relay, if its the relay then I have no idea and all this info is useless to you.
Good luck!

Should have asked first, what model is it? Could be completely different to mine.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
If you want a fan, either side, I have both just sitting in the garage that I was going to throw out. Pay for postage and its yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts