Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the experianced, I have bought a new turbo I would post pics but the camara is crap right now. This turbo came of a wrecked civic with the h22 vtec swap making 350 horses at the wheels (per the dyno sheet on 9 psi). I picked it up for $300 even and it has less than 5000 miles on it. Its actually very big and is a external wastegate model. It says nothing on it but the serial numbers, it does have a t3 exhaust flange on it but the compressor is bigger than a normal t3's. Everything is pointing towards it being a t4/t3 hybrid, if it is would this turbo be too much for my car? I don't care about lag and I have no way to mount it up since I have my engines dissasembled for piston coating. I am worried about clearance issues with the block, there isn't any import shops in this little town and I am stuck here for a while. Nobody at the other shop knows anything either. Any imput about signs to look out for would help. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So no need for custom exhaust manifold? How much clearance will there be after all is said and done? I am getting tired of turning wrenches right now and don't wanna keep busting my knuckles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,171 Posts
boostedfury said:
So no need for custom exhaust manifold? How much clearance will there be after all is said and done? I am getting tired of turning wrenches right now and don't wanna keep busting my knuckles.
you will need a t3 flange welded on your manifold,or get a custom manifold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
I had a flange welded onto my manifold. I have no clearance issues.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,491 Posts
mkb said:
I had a flange welded onto my manifold. I have no clearance issues.

Matt
Yup, if you use an external wastegate you should have no problems with clearance. The internal wastegate delta is what really gets in the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,171 Posts
rebel2k4 said:
Yup, if you use an external wastegate you should have no problems with clearance. The internal wastegate delta is what really gets in the way.
Maybe the other way around,the external wastegate need more piping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,491 Posts
ademan said:
Maybe the other way around,the external wastegate need more piping.
Have you ever mocked up a T3 in one of these engine bays? You will soon find out that without some custom wastegate brackets or rod you will have bigtime clearance issues. Theres plenty of space to run external wastegate piping, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is good solid info thanks, I will be buying a flange to have welded up to the t3/t4 this coming week. I should be able to run a wastegate straight from the turbo shouldn't I?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
External fits very nice where the AC used to reside.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,171 Posts
rebel2k4 said:
Have you ever mocked up a T3 in one of these engine bays? You will soon find out that without some custom wastegate brackets or rod you will have bigtime clearance issues. Theres plenty of space to run external wastegate piping, however.
im running a td05 18g turbo with custom flange welded on my manifold.
the external wastegate will require more pipe to be run,which there insnt enough room on the car.my turbo is bigger than a t3 and fit pretty good in it.though it also depend how you weld the lflange.email me if you need a pic of my setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Are there diffeenet sized tdo5's? I did a swap on a talon. The cyclone motor that went in had a tdo5. That turbo was even close to the size of my T3.

AC is an option. Big turbos are not.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,491 Posts
boostedfury said:
This is good solid info thanks, I will be buying a flange to have welded up to the t3/t4 this coming week. I should be able to run a wastegate straight from the turbo shouldn't I?
Possibly. Depends on what wastegate you find. I know that z31 turbos have a very small wastegate diaphragm on their turbos, so that would make fitting it easier. The one on my saab turbo was soooo huge, I was stupid for making it fit. It would have been much easier to use a smaller one. Maybe if you have access to an old IHI wastegate diaphragm you could use that.

Another issue is the a/c. I kept mine but that required using a funky bend to move the turbo out and over from the manifold. IF you use the stock turbo location, once again you may want to adapt an old IHI elbow since the bend is so tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A/c is a option that can be removed, mine hasn't worked for some time now and I had it professionally rebuilt with new parts and all. So it can go, is that exhaust mainifold to restricting for high amounts of boost? Maybe I should just port it out too. You should be receiving a email soon ademan, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,171 Posts
mkb said:
Are there diffeenet sized tdo5's? I did a swap on a talon. The cyclone motor that went in had a tdo5. That turbo was even close to the size of my T3.


Matt

yes there is ,there is a differnce version,12a,17c,18g,19a
then you have your cyclone/typhoon motor comes with mitsubishi td06/17c turbo.this turbo flow 550cfm but only good for 380hp.

the td05 12a comes with a 2.6litres starion/conquest.they are rated at 450cfm,good for 250hp.td05 18g is what i have,flow 600cfm and good for 380-400hp.mitsubishi make some good turbos,thhough they rate there turbo in cfm while garret rate thirs in hp
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top