Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic was having a hard time finding my stock size rubber for winter
205/55/15

Said he could get me a deal on a set of
195/65/15

Will these fit my ride?
Im lowered too, Eibachs and tokiko blues...

Do you think they will fit? or are they too big?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a hard time finding snow tires too, so I just bought some 14 inch wheels in 5X114.3 and finding snows for 14's will be much easier.

Stock: 205/55/15 you want to install 65/15?

That would effectively add a bit over an inch to your tire radius.... I'm not the MX-6 expert but I think that will rub - plus, your speedo will be way off, and it's going to be a dog off the line. (I know in snow this really isn't important :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
96IntegraRS said:
That would effectively add a bit over an inch to your tire radius.... I'm not the MX-6 expert but I think that will rub - plus, your speedo will be way off, and it's going to be a dog off the line. (I know in snow this really isn't important :) [/B]
No that would not effect your tire radious, The second number is the high of the sidewall compare the the width of the tire, so if you are going to go with a thinner tire then the side wall should not be much bigger, actually it should be the exact same, I went from a 60 to 50 side wall, and from a 195 to a 205, and the tire size is exactly the same, 1. you will want 195/65 for the winter, much better to drive with, will cut threw the snow really well, 2. the 65 side wall wont add any problems for tire size or speedo or acceleration.

Anymore questions just PM me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What? You are incorrect.

The tires in question are both 15". An increase in sidewall height increases the effective diameter of the tire - regardless of tire width. True it is a ratio but the increase in profile will most certainly change diameter.

This vehicle is also lowered - the only way to find out for sure is to test fit.

A conversion from http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi is below.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revolutions
195/65-15 5.0 in 12.5 in 25.0 in 78.5 in 807 / mile

205/55-15 4.4 in 11.9 in 23.9 in 75.0 in 845 / mile

1. Your speedo WILL change.
2. Tires of more narrow width are better in the snow, yes.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! :)

The deal was so nice that I had to give it a go.
150$ Canadian balanced and installed all four.

Anyway, my mech and I put them beside each other and they are definantly bigger.

They fit very snug, and do not rub at all.

Side by side the difference in size was by about an inch and a bit all the way around.

Thanks for all the input :)
And Happy Holidays :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
the best is 185/70r14 for winter tires, they are inexpensive and in slush the car doesn't want to float, and they are the same height as 205/55r15

·
Registered
38 Posts
:) No they are not... the 185's are an inch larger - but it is true that skinnier is better.

185/70-14 ----5.1 in-- 12.1 in- 24.2 in ---76.0 in ---------834

205/55-15 -----4.4 in-- 11.9 in- 23.9 in ---75.0 in --------845

1 - 9 of 9 Posts