Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Banned
30,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this piece of piping from a 91 Saab 9000 Turbo. I don't quite know what I'll do with it? It's aluminum (+) and has in inlet that can be used to adapt to the bypass (stock bypass but could also be used with the 1G somehow via rubber hose)

I don't know which way I'll use it or if I even will?

I was thinking that I could use if from the turbo to intercooler, but at closer inspection, it could probably be used from the intercooler on up to the throttle body. In which case I'd use the inlet to connect the bypass en'route to the throttle body.

Check it out:

Notice that the length and angles of bends take it to the throttle body boot (which I would change for a nitrile or similar 90 bend)

Obviously you'd have to move some stuff around as it isnt an exact fit.

But it also comes very close to reaching the lower intercooler outlet:

And it also has an allready ready allready opening which could be used to route the pressure from the bypass:

Again, not an exact fit, but quite similar:

It doesnt reach fully to the intercooler, so some sort of rubber transition hose would need to be used for a couple inches:

And of course the piping itself is 2" instead of 1 7/8":

· Premium Member
1,286 Posts
have it and tried it. Works well if you have a rx7 turbo II bypass valve or 323 gtx bypass valve. Those bpv are straight in and out so its perfect for the fitting that was originally for the bosch bpv hose. It has a weird end to it...flares out to 2.25". Good but not direct fit. Oh and the aluminum is super thin unfortunately.

Reactions: SixSick6

· Banned
30,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah the bottom is flared, I was thinking about cutting the flared section off and having a small section of aluminum U bend fused to it so that it would reach to the intercooler. I have a 1G DSM bypass, so I'd probably use that in conjunction with this pipe.

Did you use the stock throttle body boot BTW?

Also, what does thin have to do with anything so long as it works?

· Registered
4,457 Posts
allready beat you to it, if you cut the pipe, it works perfect to replace the black plastic pipe going to the turbo from the filter. i had to use it to recerculate my 1st gen dsm bypass valve. the stock piece's 'nipple' for the bypass was too small, but the saab IC pipe worked perfect. and the dsm bypass valve holds boost better then the stock plastic piece.

· Banned
30,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
monoxidechild said:
allready beat you to it, if you cut the pipe, it works perfect to replace the black plastic pipe going to the turbo from the filter. i had to use it to recerculate my 1st gen dsm bypass valve. the stock piece's 'nipple' for the bypass was too small, but the saab IC pipe worked perfect. and the dsm bypass valve holds boost better then the stock plastic piece.
I thought about doing that too, I might go and see if I can find another at the yards this weekend.

· Banned
30,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
monoxidechild said:
What did you modify in order to do it? Any pictures?

· Registered
4,457 Posts
SixSick6 said:
What did you modify in order to do it? Any pictures?
no digi cam, i had to hack off about 4 inch's from the side that has the little 'nipple' for the bypass valve, then i hacked about 8 inch's from the other side, if you hold the aluminum pipe next to a factory black plastic one, u can see where to make the cuts.

· Registered
4,457 Posts
tripharn said:
Why don't you guys just get one made up? I paid $150 for all my pipes with my FMIC, installed with a BOV for $150AU, which is about $120US.... Way easier, Way nicer, and probably ends up cheaper.
in good time, why spend 150 bux instead of 5 bux? 5 bux sounds better when im just messing around with stuff.

side note, dunno if anyone cares, but as of last weekend i fitted a 2nd gen stainless steel clutch line to my 1st gen. no probs at all, and there only 30 bux at mbx. ;)

· Banned
30,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most shops charge around $50-$60 an hour for fabrication. If there is cutting involved, that takes time, if there is fitting involved, that takes time. Most shops look at it like you're wasting their time rather than gaining $100. They look at it as your measly $100 might be causing them to lose someone elses $600.

· Registered
4,293 Posts
monoxidechild said:
if ur getting such a good deal, why not help out fellow 1st genners?

set up a bulk buy for us.
Because I live on the other side of the planet you spastic!

But seriously, what I will do is get this one made up (One for a FE is getting done now) and if anyone wants one, I will post it to you. Not sure if it will be worth it though. It is a tuned length, top mount for a T3 flange turbo. (No bulk buy here, just PM me)

Tripharn

· Registered
91 Posts
The 2 inch from 1 7/8's is hardly an improvement. Why don't you guys just get some mandrel bends from ebay and fab your own. If you have a cheap MIG welder, you should be able to do anything. Then again, this upgrade would only be worth it if you go to a fmic and bigger turbo as the 2.5 inch pipes will hurt your performance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.