Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fully understand the benefits of the aftermarket intake but I have a question......The way the MX6 is set up, it has the intake sitting just below the lip of the hood and leads directly to the throttle body. Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like a Ram Air type setup to me. Why would you want to mess with that? There are disadvantages to doing an aftermarket intake setup if done wrong. If the cone filter is in the engine bay then it will be sucking in hot air and thus will hurt performance.
If you simply replaced the stock filter with a K&N then you're better off. Of course you can benefit from an aftermarket setup if the filter is piped out of the engine bay but then you risk water damage.
In my opinion the factory setup with a better filter will work just fine.

I'm not bashing the aftermarket setup. I just sold my 92 Civic which had a K&N cone filter piped to the front of the passengers side tire just behind the front bumper. You could really tell the difference at highway speeds. Then again the stock Civic intake is very restrictive. I don't see the MX6's intake being restrictive at all.
I'm open to any thoughts on this one.

Sorry for the long post, Wally

By the way, I just bought a 96 MX6 M-Edition with only 16K miles in showroom condition yesterday. So I may be abit ignorant on the MX6 for a while so please bear with me:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
The 6's stock air boxes may not be restrictive as some cars, but there are some restrictions.. the lower air cleaner assembly is useless IMHO and takes away from the main airflow. The intake resonance box is also useless in my opinion. And I see what you mean about sucking hot air.. I put the stock fresh air duct back in mine to drop the ambient temperature..

Perhaps someone with more knowledge could elaborate. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
yes the stock air intake on the mx6 is a cold air intake and just putting a drop in filter is better than a regular filter cause you would get hot and cold air when all u want is cold air but whats better than both of that is an after market Cold air inatke or a homemade on that goes all the way to the bottom

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
is this what u should do???

so what should be done if u have a HKS intake is, to use the front part of the stock air intake system ( the partat the very front of the car) and run some type of pipe or whatever to the filter. this woudl cause u to use just cold air not suck in hot air, right. or am i wrong. i have seen it done before, i think.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I am just about to order a K&N induction kit for mine and I was having the same thoughts as I will be pulling more hot air from under the hood if I take the stock air catcher out.

Any advice will be greaty apreciated.

P.S. Ive got K&N to fit it themselves so they can guarentee the fitment and add the MX6 to their application list in the UK, as they only have thr probe listed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
K&N Filter,

Dudes, I have some sort of filter in mine right now that the dealership put in. (Sorry, i'm not sure what type it is) HOWEVER, what's the big differnce with the K&N filter? ALSO, I want to improve my performance by getting a High Performance Cat. What do you think I should buy and why? I just had the stock replaced because it was shot, however, this one i have know is sort of loud! I mean, you can hear it. The last one, there wasn't a sound!

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
483 Posts
HKS-modification

hello riceeater,

During the temporary closing of the site, me and my cousin found a tube in the garage that was a plastic extension to a blower. It fit perfect to the front dam on top of the radiator to the HKS filter. Of course I cut the thing slanted so it would touch with the filter. The tube itself was like a u-shape. I saw it on a lancia delta. I figured it would feed the filter with cold air right smack into the filter. I wish a digital meter to measure the temperature of the engine. But I'm sure it will help especially with this cold weather in new york.

The K&N(panel filter) is less restrictive as opposed to a FRAM filer(which are still good). You won't get much gains as far as horsepower.

JDean...is the loundness coming from hoods when you rev it up?

bye,

anthony

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i have a dual element filter and i hooked 1 vacuum hose to the smaller element so it forces air into the filter and another is blowing cold air at the filter. they both come down to the bottom of the car. works nicely

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cat Converter Sound

Yeah, even at Idle it sounds as though Air is coming out of the Cat Converter! It's not silent that's for sure. I think i'm going to take it back to the dealership and ask them to check it out! What do you think?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure what Canada's emmisions are like but have the cat gutted or have a staight pipe put on instead. This will relieve back pressure and free up some horses. A muffler shop will be cheaper than the dealer if that's your plan.

·
Registered
321 Posts
hollowwed cat

hey jspec how loud did that make your car. I enjoy the deep sound I get from my car know but if I can free up some more horses I am all for that

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
it made it a lot louder but the sound isnt annoying. i have a nakayama dual pencil-rolled tip muffler. it took me about 30 mins to hollow out the cat once i had it off. i can hear my car from far away but it doesnt sound "lawnmowerey" at all!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I heard somewhere that someone realized more horsepower gain from running a random technologys cat on our car than from his previously hollowed out cat ?and its legal. you might want to look into that I am.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts