Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has been asked already,
when shifting from 1st to 2nd i have to wait until the shifter drops in or i get a nice grinding sound when i force it.

note: this only happends when i wined out first gear.

is it the nature of the beast?

what is the cost of repair for somthing like this?

thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
you have to shift faster, because its kinda like a safety feature where as if you are going to fast for that gear it will not let you enter. Thats why if some reason you are going from 5th to 3rd and accidentlilly go to first it wont let you. Ive noticed that too, and i just started to shift faster out of first ... Dave

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
mx6invader said:
you have to shift faster, because its kinda like a safety feature where as if you are going to fast for that gear it will not let you enter. Thats why if some reason you are going from 5th to 3rd and accidentlilly go to first it wont let you. Ive noticed that too, and i just started to shift faster out of first ... Dave
Umm, no

You can make a 5 to 1 shift in an mx6. The reason it "wont let you" at speed is because the synchro is begging you not to. If you push hard enough, it will/will break. Some trannies do have lock-out solenoids, the T56 comes to mind. G25M-R does not to the best of my knowledge.

Shifting FASTER from 1 to 2 will only aggravate the problem? Where on earth did you get that idea?

Replace the tranny lube with Redline MT-90, which is known good and safe. Clutch in, pull out of first, wait for rpms to fall sufficiently, only then apply pressure to second gear. It should slide in easy. If it slides in easy enough, but makes noise, you have a shifter or synchro problem. Good luck.

The tranny fluid is prolly long overdue for a change anyhow. I get Redline MT-90 locally for ~12 bucks a quart. You need 3.
-Garrett

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not a new member use to be JOJO69

This only happens to my car when i shift 1st to 2nd after not driving the car and driving it next day. Only happens once i guess until it gets hot but if im parked and i shift gears it won't happen...............THATS TOO FUNNY 5th GEAR to 1ST GEAR............MY CAR WOULD MAKE THE CRAZIEST NOISE.............ha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah in shifts in smooth when i wait and makes no noise,
shifts fine when driving normaly.

but when your racing you want to almost red line 1st gear before you shift to 2nd and my car will not do that, for when i try to shift to 2nd the shifter will not drop in untill the car slows about 35 km/h

i geuss its just a safety thing... ill have to shift early

my tranny has been serviced twice i am about due for anthor one

166km on the car not bad for a 93 it was babyed.

thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Your synchros are shot dude. Or at least the ones for that shift. It happens. Mines the same. I need to swap to redline to see if it alleviates some of the issues. The synchros are meant to help allow the gears to mess and correct for the speeds of the gears being different going together. (Probably poorly worded. Check www.howstuffworks.com for a better explanation.) But like any part mileage takes it's toll. They wear out and shifts become harder and crunchy, for lack of a better word. At lower RPMs the rpm differences between the gears that need to mesh in the tranny is not as severe. So it goes together easier. At higher RPMS, the difference is more extreme. Shifting is worse. It will only get worse. Which sucks. Try Redline. I heard it works wonders....

And the T56 is a gorgeous tranny. :tup:

Garrett,
I don't think tranny fluid ever really breaks down. My Camaro is still running the factory original. And I DO NOT play easy with that car. Nor did the previous owner. Nor did the guy before Mikey. And before that it was owned by some Chevy business exec who only put on 15K of the 178K that are on her today.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
rylinkus said:

Garrett,
I don't think tranny fluid ever really breaks down. My Camaro is still running the factory original. And I DO NOT play easy with that car. Nor did the previous owner. Nor did the guy before Mikey. And before that it was owned by some Chevy business exec who only put on 15K of the 178K that are on her today.
You are correct, however the tranny has no filtration mechanism. The only way to filter the lubricant is to replace it. Thats why a service interval is listed for the mx6. Some cars say its a lifetime fluid. :shrug:

You haven't switched to Redline yet? Shame on you :) Your results may vary, but mine were REMARKABLE, especially at lower temperatures.

Even if the original fluid is still good and clean, I doubt the Mazda OEM fluid has the excellent lubricity and stability across wide temp ranges that the MT-90 has.
-Garrett

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
skiingman said:

You haven't switched to Redline yet? Shame on you :) Your results may vary, but mine were REMARKABLE, especially at lower temperatures.

Even if the original fluid is still good and clean, I doubt the Mazda OEM fluid has the excellent lubricity and stability across wide temp ranges that the MT-90 has.
-Garrett
I know, I know. It's on my list of things to do. Just hasn't happened. I know it would be an improvement.

·
Registered
600 Posts
where can i get that Redline trans. fluid in Canada? Anybody knows?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
malimx6 said:
where can i get that Redline trans. fluid in Canada? Anybody knows?
I'd just call some local car shops. Someone must have it. If not order it throuhg one of them or online. The internet is a wonderful thing. Besides, you just need to find it once. Yoiu won't be replacing it on a monthly basis.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
sorry if this has been asked already,
when shifting from 1st to 2nd i have to wait until the shifter drops in or i get a nice grinding sound when i force it.

note: this only happends when i wined out first gear.

is it the nature of the beast?

what is the cost of repair for somthing like this?

thanks.
I'll say this it can be your synchros....but try this its much cheaper...check out RR-Racing...read up on engine mount inserts....and read up on the shifter stabalizer bushings...these will help hold your transmission and engine in the same place to let your car shift smoothly under heavy acceleration...good luck :tup:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
SlammedSix said:
I'll say this it can be your synchros....but try this its much cheaper...check out RR-Racing...read up on engine mount inserts....and read up on the shifter stabalizer bushings...these will help hold your transmission and engine in the same place to let your car shift smoothly under heavy acceleration...good luck :tup:
Whilse new shifter bushings are always a good thing the poly inserts lead to vibration that some people dont like. It really depends on what you want from the car. I't kind of like a type R. A nice car, until you realize it has NO features.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts