Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I know there are a million posts about CAI installs, but in reading through them before and now after my install, I don't remember this being addressed.

It has been about two weeks since my CAI install and I thought I would check up on it this morning before work. Somehow during the install process, my cone filter had gotten pushed up too far onto the drop down part of the intake piping. So, the tube was basically flush against the end of the cone filter inside. Now I think it was probably restricting air flow more than the stock airbox.

I loosened it up, knocked it down about 4-5 inches and tightened it back up.

I also checked all the other connections (hose clamps) and found that they all had worked their way loose. I tightened them all back up (and I really torqued them on originally) I got in the car and drove to work this morning and there is a HUGE and noticable difference in the acceleration.

Anyway, I figured that a post about this would be good in case someone is searching for help about having no noticable increase in performance after a CAI install.

James

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Good points and info. The fact that your cone was at the end of the pipe would account for minimal air coming in, so putting back in place would be an improvement for sure.
Maybe you have too much play in the set-up. I put some support brackets on the oem stud bolts to secure the tubing and cai. I havent had any problems with items loosening up yet, but I do check it periodically when Im under the hood.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Since the cone is sitting in such an awkward place to work with, I installed the pipe from the top down, then went under the car to place the filter on. I must have just pushed it up too far or something before tightening it down... Not sure how it happened, but getting it straightened out made a huge difference.

I don't think there are problems with the engine mounts. Also, the new metal tubing is very secure, I bent the extra bracket that comes with the eBay intakes into a Z shape (to shorten it) and connected the VAF (or MAF, I always forget which it is) very securely to one of the bolts from the old airbox. It's solid!

I'm almost positive that it was just an awkward angle and happened when I was sliding the cone on from underneath. There is some resistance, at first, because the rubber fitting is tight on the pipe. Once you push through, though, it slides surprisingly easy. Almost certain it was my mistake during installation.

Anyway, I hope this can help someone out in the future.
James

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a quick picture of what I did with the extra bracket that came with my eBay CAI.

I bent it into a Z shape and mounted it to one of the studs that the VAF (MAF, IAF, whatever) was mounted to before. Once everything was tightened down, I wrapped it with electrical tape to hide its ugly face.

There you have it. The CAI hardly moves at all.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I had a problem similar to that however i never understood how the brackets worked no matter how i moved them around so i made my own i'll see if i have picture but a week ago i had to go in and tighten everything and now my cai doesn't move at all i did have clearence issues which actually started to melt the piping but solved all of those problems. very good post by the way

couldn't find a pic but if anyone wants to see how i mounted it let me know and i'll put one up

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought one of those ebay cold air intakes from chromeintakes, and it has only been on the car about 1 month. I pulled the car in the garage yesterday to check oil and so forth, and i found that the filter fell apart. All that was on the end of the bottom of the tube was the chrome base of the filter, no filter part. It don't hang down low to have been knocked off with out major damage to the car. Just a piece of JUNK!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
madmaxz24 said:
I bought one of those ebay cold air intakes from chromeintakes, and it has only been on the car about 1 month. I pulled the car in the garage yesterday to check oil and so forth, and i found that the filter fell apart. All that was on the end of the bottom of the tube was the chrome base of the filter, no filter part. It don't hang down low to have been knocked off with out major damage to the car. Just a piece of JUNK!
So.....why not buy a new filter? It cost $50, you cant really complain. I have the same one, so now I know to expect the same problem, but I wouldnt complain about it. Thats what you get for buying no name products off of ebay.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well i was not really complaining, i was more or less giving a heads up about chromeintakes intakes. By the way i did buy a new filter for it, a k&n filter, and it didn't cost me near $50. So good luck with yours. I did e-mail them about it, and no reply. I didn't think i would get a reply back from them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, when i bought this intake i had aready planed on getting a k&n filter for it. So when i got the intake i went ahead and order it, it was $29.00 and free shipping, can't go wrong there. But you would think the filter with the intake would last longer! So i thought i should pass along my problem with my intake filter so other people who bought the same intake could keep a eye on theirs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey MOSHEEN . i was looking at you picture of your intake and something looks funny? where is the vacum hose(i guesss thats what they are) on the inside bend of the tube and the vacum hose on the outside top bend of the intake? i think i don't see it cause my inake has two hoses coming out the first intake where i mentioned before. i don't see them on yours. i think my eyes are playing tricks on me. any one else see it? me confused.....
-jestermx6-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts