Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
when i am at an ideal my car makes a weird like spining bearings sound and if i push in my clutch it stops what is it i just had my clutch replaced a year ago and the car has sat for a year the clutch does not have more than 100 miles on it what is this noise

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
does it get louder or faster if you rev the engine? Or is it only at IDLE? ; )

Trent

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
that sound is normal unless its very loud. its just the sound of the input shaft on your tranny spinning.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Eh...I have a similar sound on another car of mine...it's an automatic though. When it's in Park or Neutral, no noise. When it's in Reverse or Drive, it starts making a ticking noise. Gets faster as the engine revs.

Didn't start until after I changed the coolant...doubt it has any bearing on it, but that's when I started noticing it.

I just need my wagon to last long enough till my MX-6 is fixed.

Which at the rate I'm going...will be another 20 years on the car!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will it go away after the clutch is broke in a little or did the guy that did my clutch do some thing wrong. i had a clutch replace 2 day before i got this one the resone i got this one put in is because the first one i shattered with in 2 day. MY car has 90000 mile on it and 2 years ago i had a hole in the radiator and did not take care of it like i should of and just kept filling it up with water it go real bad and overheated so i had a guy put a used motor in it and i figured while the motor was out he could put a clutch in it so he said he did when i got the car back i had to test it and ever time i got a chance with in 2 days i would just lay a big patch that did not go to good with my new clutch and i guess it shatter so i called him and told him it was a peace of **** and he need to fix it so he towed my car and said he had never see anything like it ,it must of been a flaw in the way it was made because both sides wear shattered so he fixed it and i got the car back and got in some other trouble and had to go away for a year and the car sat now i have it out but not licensed or anything so i am not real driving it yet my brother pulled it out of his garage a month ago and messed up the driver side front fender and rear quarter panel so now i need to learn how to paint and some bondo i will buy a new front fender.anyway just wondering if the guy may have messed up on the clutch thanks jr

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
little things you say or do

jroreilly84020 said:
just wondering if the guy may have messed up on the clutch thanks
Given your description, I'd tend to go along with moltar's diagnosis. Have a look at your transaxle fluid level to make certain it ain't low (or dry).

·
Registered
897 Posts
punctuation helps. Try forming complete thoughts in your sentences. It's hard to figure out what you're even trying to say.

You got the car back after having some guy put in a new clutch, while he was replacing your engine with a used one? Then you ripped on the car for the next 2 days, broke it, and he thought there was a problem with the clutch? ?

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
the last tutorial

jroreilly84020 said:
how do i check my trans axle fluid where is that at
follow speedometer cable to the transaxle, take a 10 mm wrench to remove the 6mm machine screw, gently twist on the drive gear housing while withdrawing it, fluid level should be between the marks, get a shop manual.

·
Registered
737 Posts
This is quoted from my haynes manual.
Squeal or rumble with clutch pedal released
*Improper adjustment; no free play.
*Release bearing binding on transmission bearing retainer. -Remove clutch components and check bearing. Remove any burrs or nicks, clean and relubricate before installation.
*Weak linkage return spring. -Replace the spring.

·
Registered
737 Posts
There are tolerances in the clutch pedal. There is an adjustment screw to change pedal height. There aren't any specific measurements, you kind of have to go with the pictures to see the approximate distances. I cannot upload the pics, I don't have the resources right now. There is however a lock-nut that you can check to see if it is loose or if it has moved. It is located on the clutch pedal under the dash.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I suggest going back to whomever installed your clutch and find out exactly what they did, and what they replaced. Then post it. That way we will have a better understanding of what's new, what's been replaced and what is (probably) original. The adjustment for the clutch pedal, doesn't sound like your problem. I would find out if they put in a new throw-out-bearing, and if they did a clutch kit, or just the pressure plate. That's what I would do.

G

·
Just FYI, that haynes crap has to deal with the cable clutch in the GC 626's.

GD's have fluid clutches, so you don't need to adjust them and there is no return spring.

Your better off with a Mazda Shop manual for your year, or at least the Haynes Probe manual because that one only covers the 2.2Litre motor, while the majority of the Haynes Mazda manual is on the FE 2.0 litre and GC chassy.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
jroreilly84020 said:
do you think it could be doing this because it has not been driven for 2 years the clutch is new or did he install it wrong
Given your description, I'd tend to go along with moltar's diagnosis. Have a look at your transaxle fluid level to make certain it ain't low (or dry).

Or don't. Maybe it's easier to just ask further questions than to actually get your hands dirty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i talk to the guy that did my clutch he said it has been a long to time he does not know for sure what he did.he said if it is not to loud it is most likely just the grease has got hard to drive it he said if it gets louder it is most likely the throw out bearing.
so i guess i will just drive it and see .
do i have to brake in a clutch ?does anyone know. if i do how do you brake it in THANK you J.R.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sounds like the throw-out bearing. The trannies in this car are easy to pull if you dont have problems getting the axles out (almost everyone does). If it gets louder just pull the tranny and have a look at your clutch plate and bearing assembly, you will find your problem very easily.

~1st member

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey JR, I would check your Job Order from that shop, if it was a shop. If your mileage since the repair has been minimal, they probably did something wrong. Or intentionally didn't replace something, knowing that you would bring it back and they would charge you labor to repair it. I've seen it done before. I don't want you to get the shaft, so I would see if you can find any documentation that shows what was done. Hope it works out for ya.

·
Registered
83 Posts
THE CLUTCH

I have gone through about 4 clutches, and they all made that noise. If you have a hydraulic clutch system, then there is no need to adjust, except like the previous posts, said, you can adjust the clutch pedal. This can be done by looking underneath the dashboard (driver side of course). You shouldn't worry about the sound. I haven't and my car has about 230000 miles on it. Good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts