Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a 2nd gen MX6 1992, I've wanted one, for as long as I can remember... but I have a few questions.

First up the usual. Anything I should really look out for? I know the rear claippers are something to watch out for. The timing belt as well. Anything else to keep an eye out for?

Im looking at a car from a dealer, about $10k, is the most I can spend on the car, is their any advantage from a dealer as opposed to private?

Also, I'm really really don't know much about cars, and was going to get a car inspections, before I buy it. Are there any recomendations on who I should go with?

I think Silver Mx6's look sexy as HELL! But I've also got a boner now for chrome 17-18" rims. I think maybe white will bring out the rims more. Is silver a bad choice? Do you guys know of any nice places to go shopping for rims and tyres?

I want to get the car lowered as well, any recomendation on springs/labour, how low?

I know there are alot of questions in here, but I'm really stupid when it comes to cars. Please help me out, I'm looking to buy the car very soon.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
SaTaN said:
I'm about to buy a 2nd gen MX6 1992, I've wanted one, for as long as I can remember... but I have a few questions.

First up the usual. Anything I should really look out for? I know the rear claippers are something to watch out for. The timing belt as well. Anything else to keep an eye out for?

Im looking at a car from a dealer, about $10k, is the most I can spend on the car, is their any advantage from a dealer as opposed to private?

Also, I'm really really don't know much about cars, and was going to get a car inspections, before I buy it. Are there any recomendations on who I should go with?

I think Silver Mx6's look sexy as HELL! But I've also got a boner now for chrome 17-18" rims. I think maybe white will bring out the rims more. Is silver a bad choice? Do you guys know of any nice places to go shopping for rims and tyres?

I want to get the car lowered as well, any recomendation on springs/labour, how low?

I know there are alot of questions in here, but I'm really stupid when it comes to cars. Please help me out, I'm looking to buy the car very soon.
Hi welcome to the board. Other things to look out for are:

- Distributor failure, ask if its been replaced before- any receipts?
- The Valve cover gaskets sometimes leak.
- Check that the four wheel steering works, can be expensive to repair.
- Oxygen sensors can fail but can get cheap replacements from america, ( too expensive locally)
- Automatic transmissions on the 2nd gens are weak, if you get an auto its good to get a transmission cooler.

I used NRMA to check the mx6 I bought, very good. I suppose down in melbourne you'd have RACV inspections?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else have any advice? Colour? Rims? Anything?

Who else can expect the car? I know RACV can, but i heard they were pretty expensive.

I was definantly getting a manual btw. An auto just wouldn't do any justice to the car :)

·
Registered
886 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A lot of people ask me if I have had my car resprayed because the burgundy paint on my 2nd gen looks good (except for the keymarks grr), but my mate's red MX6 looks very faded sitting next to mine (plus he doesn't even have mags and rarely washes it).

I've had distributor and water pump go (prob about $2000 all up to get those replaced incl timing belt & labour), the NRMA inspection was very good but couldn't pick that sort of thing up of course. He did pick the failing CV boots though.
Since then everything has been fine and dandy, only minor maintenance stuff like antenna, boot struts etc.

Rims depend on the car colour. Not a fan of white rims myself personally.
I'd say get a black MX6 with gold mags, but keeping the paint clean is a bitch. My burgundy paint rarely needs a wash, and chromies would suit it well if I could afford them. Silver looks great with chromies too.

Dunno about the manuals but I have fitted a tranny cooler to my auto and it's been fine, I think it's getting a bit tired though (124kkms).

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a silver as well and are quite happy with it as a colour.

So far in mine i have had done
*water pump
*cv
*clutch (and about to do no 2)
*radiator
*front steering rack

I have had quite a bad run with mine though and I bought mine through a Mazda dealer that has paid for more than $2500 of that and about to fund the next clutch at $1000

·
Registered
215 Posts
When buying any car make sure you ask for as much history as possible, ask about previous owners (if any) and the age. Young kids tend to flog there cars, if possible always buy the weekend shopper :p

As for silver and chrome mags, looks great ;)

Yes avoid the red, the rear wing and side mirrors will most likely be faded.

-Check the interior of the car, check that both electric windows work from drivers side and the passangers side ($500 for a new switch, not nice)

-Check that the high beam on/off works (on earlyer models these have a tendancy to break and are also pricey)

-Check cruise control, check the boot struts are gased and not lose... there just little things but they all add up at the end of the day.

Bassically get as much information about the car as possible including and not limited to, service reports, if the car is still under finance (private sale), log books, receipts for car related items not fitted by a mechanic etc.

You can't have to much information! ;)

·
Registered
652 Posts
So I'm one of the "suckers" with a red one. I'll just put my fingers in my ears and cling to the notion that "red goes faster" :D

Car visibility was a factor in the choice for me - I live in the hills, and get lots of fog and rain. White and silver cars were off the list as they blend with the road too easily with fog in the day. I already had a burgundy car, and I wasn't going to be allowed to have black or dark blue because my other half reckons they're hard to see at night as well.

I bought mine from NSW as 2Gens don't come up in the SA market much, and when they do, they have 40,000km extra on the clock than I can get interstate. NRMA inspections are great, but I was surprised to see that they don't do a compression test (RAA do this, and I really wanted to make sure the rings weren't stuffed). It's very detailed though and well worth the money (especially if you go interstate to buy), and can put you in a good position for negotiation. Don't forget the REVS check for financial encumbrances - you get your certificate of protection and you're all set.

I would never buy privately unless I had both the inspection and the REVS certificate. At least with a dealer, you get a warranty that covers you until the gaffer tape falls off :D

I was concerned about buying a thrashed car, and what I wound up with (apart from the MX6 grin, naturally) was a mechanically sound 2-owner manual 4WS car, with full service history, new tyres, tinting, alarm, immobiliser, central locking. The previous owner had mirrors, boot, bumpers all resprayed when he had the sunroof taken care of, because as others have said - they looked faded.

At the end of the day, remember the age of the car you're buying. Don't expect perfection unless you're prepared to pay for it.

Oh - if you are buying from outside of your state, just beware the re-registration process. Had I done it a few months prior, they would have defected my tinting (SA rules are different to the rest of the universe on what constitutes defectable tinting) and destroyed it on the spot. Either the inspector was feeling benevolent, or they've changed the rules and they now just give you a warning.

The 2Gen is a beautiful car to drive - luxury features, great handling, geared like a motorbike and very very sexy.

I still haven't stopped smiling... I'm sure you'll feel the same! Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. They have been extremely helpfull.

Anyways, who is RAA? Do they do car inspections too? Outside of RACV and NRMA, is there anyone else who does a good, but possibbly cheaper car inspections?

I've been looking at a few cars from dealers, and am curious, would they all replace that stuff, if it broke down on me? Or would it have to be a mazda dealer? As I said, I am very new to cars really. But I think I'm going to learn fast, with this 6 and you guys :)

Oh, the one thing that really really REALLY irks me about the mx6, is the horrible upholstery. It's all grey with red squares and stuff. I just don't like it at all. I was thinking of getting the entire upholstrey re-done. Any cheap or good suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Well you can get seat covers, mine are black (look good). You can also look for one with leather upholstery, ( it came with the option of black upholstery)
edit: im pretty sure the RAA is South Australias version of the RACV and NRMA

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: About to buy 2nd gen MX6 But...

WantFE3inGC said:
hmmmm dont think anyone elese has ever got a boner over rims...
Lol, I don't know much about cars, but these rims are dead sexy! I don't think you people are looking at them rite :)

Anyways, for the interior, I have yet to see one MX6 for sale with a leather interior. DAMN! I was thinking about seat covers too, but the doors and back seets would be outta place.

·
Registered
652 Posts
ODIN said:
edit: im pretty sure the RAA is South Australias version of the RACV and NRMA
Spot on.. here's the full litany in no particular order: RAA for SA, RACV for VIC, RACQ for QLD. NRMA for NSW & ACT, RACWA for WA, RACT for TAS, AANT for NT

They all appear to do vehicle inspections, and the prices and what's included are listed online for most of them, with sample reports. Inspections tend to be dearer if you're not a member of any of the above organisations (you get reciprocal rights - so I got my NRMA inspection cheaper because I'm an RAA member).

If you are thinking of getting one done, check the price difference for members and non-members (it may make the cost of joining more palatable), or find a friend of the family who has a membership :D There's no connection between the inspection and a purchase, so you can get any member to book the inspection for you.

Even if you're not thinking of getting one done, visit the web site of the one in your state - they have bucket loads of useful advice for buying cars. This includes links to the Red Book for car pricing and all sorts of other useful information (the NRMA's FAQ on warranties on second hand cars is here). Just bear in mind that they do want you to join up and get an inspection through them when you read the material ;)

Short term fix for the upholstery is black seat covers, definitely. I just put black seat covers in the front. With tinting, everything looks that much darker - you don't notice the rest of the upholstery from the front. Spend your money on the mechanical stuff, and save the upholstery for when you don't have greasy mechanics crawling all over it.

My mum (who was the first female president of the South Australian Panel Van Club.. it must be something passed down in the female genes in my family ;) ) gave me the best piece of advice: Wait at least 3 months before having any kind of body/panel repair work done, assuming you frequently drive the car. You're still getting used to the car, its blind spots, dimensions and handling. I don't care how blokey you are, you will cry if you dent it on the way back from the shop.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Warrantys

I've been looking at a few cars from dealers, and am curious, would they all replace that stuff, if it broke down on me? Or would it have to be a mazda dealer?
Warranty provisions vary from dealer to dealer and the underwriter of that warranty and so it is irrelevant if it is factory or not (but "surposedly" mazda knows mazda's best).

Almost every warranty will not cover anything electrical, only mechanical (but there probably are exceptions). Even with a factory dealer you need to read the contents of the warranty to verify servicing requirements and actual parts covered, etc. Mine is return to selling dealership every 10000, many are service anywhere professional.

Some stuff, such as electrical however are usually covered by government statutory warranty's (if applicable - 92 is now over 10 years thus not usually applicable)

As a side note, leather was standard on all 4ws models late 94 onwards after the interium update (4ws/2ws) but as ODIN commented was optional prior to this (but not many did have it).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That leather seats and stuff look great! But god damn their rare to find! Really!

How much do you think it would cost to get the entire car re-did in leather?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts