Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just a generic question... or 2.... actually 3...!
mind you i've only had the the car for a year, so keep that in mind if you look at these

1. I have the 93 2gen MX6 with 4WS etc, and there's a ABS light. Does the car really have ABS? I've hit the brakes hard in the past, and never really felt the ABS kick in. ( unless I've mis-understood ABS, and it brakes like a machine gun, braking & releasing quickly etc?)

2. From my last service, they said there was some engine noise, i'm not sure if there is, only thing I can think of is as I slow down, there's like a whooop - but that could be the low profile directional tyres on my 18's

and lastly...

3. The guys also said the O2 sensors may need replacing, apparently they're slow to respond... and they were going to charge like $578 supplied and fitted. Is there a way I can do that myself, and where the hell are the O2 sensors? my guess is the first one is just before the intake manifold, after the filter box?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
The o2 sensors are on the exhaust manifolds.

i think if its a GE1 it has one on each manifold and if its a GE2 it has 2 on each manifold. Dont really know cause I have a GD. but they are definately on the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Morfeeyus said:
1. I have the 93 2gen MX6 with 4WS etc, and there's a ABS light. Does the car really have ABS? I've hit the brakes hard in the past, and never really felt the ABS kick in. ( unless I've mis-understood ABS, and it brakes like a machine gun, braking & releasing quickly etc?)
You will/should have ABS on yours - it is a pre 94 GE (I don't know if the 2WS after 94 had it)

Essentially yes you should easily be able to tell it is working when it kicks in. Ours makes a relatively large amount of noise while in "true" operation and you will feel that sort of effect. Another sign of the abs is the whiring noise in the first few seconds after starting when you don't have your foot on the break (which I believe is the ABS getting to operating range/presures).

Next time it rains head out to a quiet place with open areas (empty coles carpark maybe but don't do it too many times there) - get up to say 30kms & try to lock it up. If it is working you will feel it....

Morfeeyus said:
2. From my last service, they said there was some engine noise, i'm not sure if there is, only thing I can think of is as I slow down, there's like a whooop - but that could be the low profile directional tyres on my 18's
I would expect a comment on engine noise to be something like bearings, lash adjusters, belts or simmilar rather than tyre noise. More details...

Morfeeyus said:
3. The guys also said the O2 sensors may need replacing, apparently they're slow to respond... and they were going to charge like $578 supplied and fitted. Is there a way I can do that myself, and where the hell are the O2 sensors? my guess is the first one is just before the intake manifold, after the filter box?
One I think is mounted in the top of the airbox based on some previous playing I done with mine but I don't know for sure. Do some quick searches - oxygen sensor & the like. I remember them being available from the US for a lot less & you should be able to do it easily. ODIN as I recall put up some posts from him buying them online.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys,

I don't think my ABS is working, there is no start up noise - maybe all i can hear is the engine and the CAI sucking it's guts out!

and as i said when in the past I had slammed on the brakes, it didn't kick in. I might ask about it at the next service.

thanks again

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
well the simple way to tell if your abs is working or not is - Do the wheels lock up do you skid or not. you will get feed back in the steering wheel.

So response O2 sensor - time to replace them - they are not cheap but then again, generic one's are on the shelf.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've rung around,

which of these brands are the better? anyone whose had experience with any of them shed some light?

NGK, Bosch, ACA

cheers

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
NGK -or the bosch
NGK's are factory original's

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Yeah you can either get generic ones or direct fit replacements, I bought my direct fit replacements at www.buyoxygensensors.com, for 110 AUD each delivered to my door from the us. No probs. brand was walker i think. Mazda wants a lot more than that for genuine ones.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Anti-lock braking (ABS) system codes are read when the TBS and GND pins are connected in the Diagnostic connector

and The LED connected to B+ and FBS pins

Code11= Right front wheel speed sensor or rotor

Code12= Left front wheel speed sensor or rotor

Code13= Right rear wheel speed sensor or rotor

Code14= Left rear wheel speed sensor or rotor

Code15= Wheel speed sensor

Code22= Hydraulic unit harness

Code51= Fail-safe relay

Code53= Motor or motor relay

Code61= ABS control unit

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks All for your assistance.

appreciate all the help.

I know very little about the error codes and all that, so, until I learn how to, and what they mean, I'm lost!

- you see, first car with an efi, previous was a fridge magna, carburator, no power steering, no power anything! all was manual!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Morfeeyus said:
Thanks for your help guys,

I don't think my ABS is working, there is no start up noise - maybe all i can hear is the engine and the CAI sucking it's guts out!

and as i said when in the past I had slammed on the brakes, it didn't kick in. I might ask about it at the next service.

thanks again
Howdy man - a good way to isolate the 'startup noise' is to start the car with your foot on the brake. Wait until the startup noise of the car has settled, then take your foot off the brake. As soon as you have released the pedal you will hear a 'whirring' sort of vacuum sound from the rear of the car - this is the ABS starting up. But as the guys have said - if you stomp hard (i.e trying to lock the car up) and the wheels don't stop-start-stop (and you'll feel the pedal pulse), then its not workin.

With your O2's - get them from repco, or from www.buyoxygensensors.com and fit them yourself - fitment is easy and you'll save a lot of money.

Cheers,

Jasonius

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, say I got them cheap (O2 sensors), is there a diagram or images somewhere where it shows where they are located?

As for the ABS, I'll try the start with the brake pedal startup, see how we go.

thanks again to all for your assisstance

·
Registered
534 Posts
Morfeeyus said:
Ok, say I got them cheap (O2 sensors), is there a diagram or images somewhere where it shows where they are located?

As for the ABS, I'll try the start with the brake pedal startup, see how we go.

thanks again to all for your assisstance
Heres a good place to look for info about replacing the o2s:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/p_m13.htm

Theres a good bit of detail there. He does go into lead splicing and so on, which you DONT have to do if you get the correct 4 pin part from repco or buyoxygen sensors.

Cheers,

Jasonius

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jasonius

thanks dude, screw giving almost $600 to Mazda for changing it! I'll buy my own sensors from Bursons ($131-$140) and chuck them on myself.

Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts