Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how much a new a/c compressor costs in $CDN?? Mine is about to die and won't take any more charge, I was quoted $1100 from NAPA, but that seems really high!

('93 MX6 LS 5-SPD)

125 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question... but I think mine is dying and maybe you might know... sometimes my car makes a "rattling" type of noise when i turn my a/c compressor on i've heard other 6's do this so I assume it's pretty common...a/c works pretty descently (not great but ok) it's made this noise for a while and I am just now getting around to fixing it..is that rattling the compressor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like your compressor is about to go too. My a/c right now is also cool, I have to leave it on full blast on a hot day to stay somewhat comfortable. I brought it in to my friends shop and the temperature reading from the vent was 54 deg F, he said it should be lower than 45. When he tried adding more refrigerant to the system my compressor started to 'click' pretty bad. It sounded like plastic was snapping. Anyway, he drained my system and found very little oil in it, he added some more and then recharged it. He didn't charge it fully because he doesn't think the compressor will be able to handle it so I'm back where I started, but without the click. I've heard bad things about mazda compressors from our cars (which are made by pannasonic). I guess the only option is to get a new or rebuilt compressor...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
question for you guys....

do you gu ys ever get a weird smell coming from your a/c? when i first turn on my car with the a/c on there is a slight smell of wet dog. blah i hate that smell!! just wondering, didnt want to start a whole new thread just for this Q :p

solar

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Have you considered a used compressor? You may be able to go that route and save some $ if you're willing to go used. car-part.com , although I'm not sure if they send to Canada.

Regarding the smelly post...it's probably from dirty water drying in the housing around the evaporator core (mildew).

Tyson

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
slimdave said:
I can confirm the wet dog smell. Sometimes it's also reminiscent of potatoes.
LOL!! or maybe a wet dog rolling around in mashed potatoes.....oh the humanity...and the smell...blah!!

solar

·
Registered
35 Posts
:( Bummer about the compressor, most likely needs to be replaced. The smell is easy...try "Frigi-fresh" (sp?) or some other vent refresher. Ask your local detail shop where you can find some, or your auto-parts store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts