Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to by pass this? i only drive my car on nicer days. but sometimes i need the heat in the morning or night. and i dont have the money for a new part yet.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
yeah, you can wire up your fan to run on the full 12 volts... by bypassing the resistors completely. but your fan will run on the equivalent of "4" all the time.....do you really want that..

·
Registered
291 Posts
by 4, i believe he means the highest setting.

btw, you may pick up a resister pack at salvage. i got one for $15 and all 4 wires looked good.
try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

this will list parts available for locations nearest you with price and distance w/telephone # to call before you drive there. i use this web site all the time

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
By "4" alll the the time, do you mean all the time?
Off and 4 would be the only positions that would work, 1,2,3, all go through the resistor pack.

unfortunately the a/c interlock also goes through the resistor pack, so depending on which resistor has burned out, the a/c might also not work unless you bypass the interlock that stops you from running the a/c while the fan is off.

The interlock is there to prevent the a/c evaporator core from turning into a lump of ice.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just some noodling here, but is the resistor pack different for A/C and non-A/C? I wonder because I tried the resistor pack out of my DX (which has A/C) in my LX (which doesn't) and none of the fan speeds worked at all. The pack out of the DX also had a jumper wire on it. I presently only have speeds 3 and 4 and its a bit annoying running on 3 all the time.... although, I had all 4 speeds randomly a little while back for about two days.... I'd really like to get a good one if anybody has one around. Mazda wants $56 for a new one. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The resistor pack itself is the same but there is a "jumper" that bypasses one of the resistors when there is a/c.

presumably to make up for the flow loss across the a/c core.

if none of the speeds worked then that its possible that resistor that is normally bypassed for a/c had gone open circuit.

Usually its "2" that goes open circuit, which means 1 and 2 speeds wont work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can someone post a pic of the resistor pack for me please. My wiring is jacked and i'd like to piece it together from other peoples...

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts

There you go

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow... mine looks nothing like that... the bottom is a rectangle and those little fin things on the top aren't on either of them. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts