Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true that a car can accelerate faster if the wheels are bigger on the back and the front wheels are smaller?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
yes to some point, it will defnatly give u better 60ft times. and sometimes it will give u better 1/4 times. thats becasue u change the ration of the wheel turns.

G

·
Mazda_MX6_Turbo said:
yes to some point, it will defnatly give u better 60ft times. and sometimes it will give u better 1/4 times. thats becasue u change the ration of the wheel turns.
Explain to me exactly how having a larger rear wheel changes the front wheels ratios? :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the tires on the rear though. But the front tires being smaller would change your ratio, and give you an advantage.

G

·
drsjr1980 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with the tires on the rear though. But the front tires being smaller would change your ratio, and give you an advantage.
Obviously, but thats not what he said is it?

Larger rear tires helps shift weight towards the front. Raising your back end for that muscle car era look would too (Though they did it so they could fit oversize slicks in the back, not for FWD traction).

More weight in the front helps keep the front tires on the ground.

Smaller front tires change the final drive ratio.

:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drsjr1980 said:
hmm, so let's say i left my rear wheels alone (16inch) and changed the front to 14 or 15s, that would increase acceleration huh?

i got this idea when i noticed that NHRA drag racers had smaller front wheels.

G

·
fasturbo626 said:
hmm, so let's say i left my rear wheels alone (16inch) and changed the front to 14 or 15s, that would increase acceleration huh?

i got this idea when i noticed that NHRA drag racers had smaller front wheels.
Accelleration up, top end down. Its all relevant.

Most FWD professional drag racers i've seen run oversized slicks and smaller back tires. You probably looking at RWD tube chassy cars.

·
Registered
737 Posts
FlySwat said:
Obviously, but thats not what he said is it?
Larger rear tires helps shift weight towards the front. Raising your back end for that muscle car era look would too (Though they did it so they could fit oversize slicks in the back, not for FWD traction).
More weight in the front helps keep the front tires on the ground.
Smaller front tires change the final drive ratio.:)
I understand the idea of that, I just wanted to clarify that the rear tires had nothing to do with gearing ratio or anything like that. Weight shift would be minimal, but present.
fasturbo,
The nhra drag racers you're talking about, are they front wheel drive? Drag tires have huge side walls to allow the flex in the sidewall. There is some theory behind this. I was told you want your tire to flex like that, it helps traction at the line.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drsjr1980 said:
I understand the idea of that, I just wanted to clarify that the rear tires had nothing to do with gearing ratio or anything like that. Weight shift would be minimal, but present.
fasturbo,
The nhra drag racers you're talking about, are they front wheel drive? Drag tires have huge side walls to allow the flex in the sidewall. There is some theory behind this. I was told you want your tire to flex like that, it helps traction at the line.
i guess they would be rwd, since most of the NHRA are rwd. but i guess fwd have to put bigger tires in front. i'm just looking to find ways to go faster whether it be traction or less wheel rotation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts