Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just received an order from www.mazdaformance.com, from whom I ordered a number of routine maintenance items.

Included in my order are four (4) OEM oil filters. However, upon open the shipping box I found the filters to be smaller than any I have ever seen for the 2.2L turbo.

The part # is B6Y1-14-302-9A.

Can anyone in the know tell me if this is an acceptable filter for our cars?

I have e-mailed mazdapformance with that very question but have yet to hear back from them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just answered my own question...

I just called my local dealer and asked if this part number is appropriate for the '89 2.2 turbo... He stated that this filter fits almost all of Mazda's four cylinder engines and that the "B6Y1" is the part number that comes up in their computer for the '89 GT.

Wow, it's kinda small but if Mazda says its correct, who am I to question?

So, with that having been confirmed, I am a satisfied mazdaperformance.com customer and will be using this outlet again.

Everything I ordered is genuine Mazda, which I find quite cool - NGK plugs, Mazda plug wires, Mazda distributor cap, Mazda rotor, Mazda PCV, Mazda PCV grommet, Mazda oil filler cap, Mazda oil filters - everything genuine Mazda.

Eventhough I have a dealer within 10 minutes of my office, I thought I'd try mazdaperformance.com to see how they operated. Nicely, I'd say.

If your a distance away form a dealer and want Mazda gear, this place seems pretty good.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I believe the website is called http://www.mazdaformance.com/ , not "mazdaperformance.com".

There are actually two different OEM filters that will work, a smaller one ("B6Y") and a larger one that some people use (JEY0 or G6Y0). I looked in the parts catalog at the dealer and it does list both filters as being compatible with the 2.2L. The smaller one (B6Y) is what is most common.

Just recently, Mazda seems to have changed suppliers for their filters. Here is a comparison of the "new" (at left) and "old" B6Ys. The new one is indeed part number B6Y1 14 302 .

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hold everything...

I just received a reply back from Mazdaformance.com.

They're telling me that the filters I received (B6Y1) are not the correct filters for the GT.

They indicated that they will be overnighting me the correct filters.

I'll check the size and part number on the replacement ones and let you all know.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, both the M1 and the K&N, both of which I have used, are a little larger. However, I have found, at least with my car, that the $6.00 OEM filter reduces valve-train noise substantially over both of those $12.00 filters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.